On Fri, Apr 17, 2020 at 11:50:19PM +0200, Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor wrote: > tomas wrote: > > > What I'd do is randomly select from a choice of, say, > > 100 popular browser strings. > > Well, not _everyone_ who objects to this is an Emacs-w3m > user. Actually I'm sure the vast majority who disables > this feature does not use Emacs-w3m. So they can't tell > we use Emacs-w3m just because there is no UA! I was proposing that with some tongue-in-cheek ;-P But yes, this stupid data collection craze does get on my nerves, sometimes. > Besides, as long as there is data, incorrect as it might > be, this still encourages them to develop algorithms > that will act upon that data, and this might hurt > everyone else who still submits correct data. If the data is uniformly distributed, it'll hurt everyone uniformly (again, somewhat tongue-in-cheek ;-P > So I say we should not submit any data for two reasons, > one, other people are also not submitting theirs, and > two, other people are submitting theirs :) A friend of mine once proposed to return the contents of /dev/urandom if the server requests a cookie. All of it. But that was still a time when half of the Web servers there didn't request a cookie. Cheers -- t