all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Viminfo for emacs
@ 2020-04-01  0:37 Tim Johnson
From: Tim Johnson @ 2020-04-01  0:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: MLEmacs

I've used terminal mode vim for years as my de facto general purpose
editor on ubuntu.

Emacs in gui mode has been my programming editor.

I have recently put together a barebones terminal mode emacs with evil
as part of a custom config that starts up at least as fast as vim.

It lacks one thing, tho:

A lean, mean session handler that can, like viminfo, "remember" what
line was last viewed for any recent file.

I think 'session would work, but I would use something with less code,
if it were available.

Any recommendations?

--
Tim
tj49.com

* Re: Viminfo for emacs
@ 2020-04-01  8:20 ` Štěpán Němec
From: Štěpán Němec @ 2020-04-01  8:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Johnson; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, 31 Mar 2020 16:37:54 -0800
Tim Johnson wrote:

> A lean, mean session handler that can, like viminfo, "remember" what
> line was last viewed for any recent file.
>
> I think 'session would work, but I would use something with less code,
> if it were available.
>
> Any recommendations?

save-place-mode

--
Štěpán

* Re: Viminfo for emacs
@ 2020-04-01 15:16   ` Tim Johnson
From: Tim Johnson @ 2020-04-01 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 4/1/20 12:20 AM, Štěpán Němec wrote:
> On Tue, 31 Mar 2020 16:37:54 -0800
> Tim Johnson wrote:
>
>> A lean, mean session handler that can, like viminfo, "remember" what
>> line was last viewed for any recent file.
>>
>> I think 'session would work, but I would use something with less code,
>> if it were available.
>>
>> Any recommendations?
> save-place-mode

Cool!

Built in and everything. Thank you Štěpán

--
Tim
tj49.com

* Re: Viminfo for emacs
@ 2020-04-01 16:43 ` Jude DaShiell
From: Jude DaShiell @ 2020-04-01 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Johnson, MLEmacs

There used to be a package in emacs that did that in emacs 24 I think
but subsequent emacs updates or lack of support for the package broke it
in subsequent updates.  It's been a while since I've used the package so
I can't remember its name either.

On Tue, 31 Mar 2020, Tim Johnson wrote:

> Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2020 20:37:54
> From: Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com>
> To: MLEmacs <Help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
> Subject: Viminfo for emacs
>
> I've used terminal mode vim for years as my de facto general purpose editor on
> ubuntu.
>
> Emacs in gui mode has been my programming editor.
>
> I have recently put together a barebones terminal mode emacs with evil as part
> of a custom config that starts up at least as fast as vim.
>
> It lacks one thing, tho:
>
> A lean, mean session handler that can, like viminfo, "remember" what line was
> last viewed for any recent file.
>
> I think 'session would work, but I would use something with less code, if it
> were available.
>
> Any recommendations?

* Re: Viminfo for emacs
@ 2020-04-01 16:44   ` Jude DaShiell
From: Jude DaShiell @ 2020-04-01 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Štěpán Němec, Tim Johnson; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

I think that may be the package I remember.

On Wed, 1 Apr 2020, ?t?p?n N?mec wrote:

> Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2020 04:20:23
> From: ?t?p?n N?mec <stepnem@gmail.com>
> To: Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com>
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> Subject: Re: Viminfo for emacs
>
> On Tue, 31 Mar 2020 16:37:54 -0800
> Tim Johnson wrote:
>
> > A lean, mean session handler that can, like viminfo, "remember" what
> > line was last viewed for any recent file.
> >
> > I think 'session would work, but I would use something with less code,
> > if it were available.
> >
> > Any recommendations?
>
> save-place-mode

* Re: Viminfo for emacs
@ 2020-04-01 16:57     ` Jude DaShiell
From: Jude DaShiell @ 2020-04-01 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Štěpán Němec, Tim Johnson; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

I think in earlier years a download had to be done to install
save-place-mode and since it's now built-in, maybe that's why the
downloaded package no longer worked.

On Wed, 1 Apr 2020, Jude DaShiell wrote:

> Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2020 12:44:32
> From: Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@panix.com>
> To: ?t?p?n N?mec <stepnem@gmail.com>, Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com>
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> Subject: Re: Viminfo for emacs
>
> I think that may be the package I remember.
>
> On Wed, 1 Apr 2020, ?t?p?n N?mec wrote:
>
> > Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2020 04:20:23
> > From: ?t?p?n N?mec <stepnem@gmail.com>
> > To: Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com>
> > Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> > Subject: Re: Viminfo for emacs
> >
> > On Tue, 31 Mar 2020 16:37:54 -0800
> > Tim Johnson wrote:
> >
> > > A lean, mean session handler that can, like viminfo, "remember" what
> > > line was last viewed for any recent file.
> > >
> > > I think 'session would work, but I would use something with less code,
> > > if it were available.
> > >
> > > Any recommendations?
> >
> > save-place-mode

* Re: Viminfo for emacs
@ 2020-04-01 22:14     ` Tim Johnson
From: Tim Johnson @ 2020-04-01 22:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 4/1/20 8:44 AM, Jude DaShiell wrote:
> I think that may be the package I remember.
I added (save-place-mode 1) to my custom initfile, consequently emacs
saves "bookmark"  to ~/.emacs.d/places

and it's just what the doctor ordered. One line per file, as far I can see.

--
Tim
tj49.com

* Re: Viminfo for emacs
@ 2020-04-09  1:37 ` Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro
From: Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro @ 2020-04-09  1:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Johnson; +Cc: MLEmacs

Hi Tim,

Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com> writes:

> I have recently put together a barebones terminal mode emacs with evil
> as part of a custom config that starts up at least as fast as vim.

If eventually your Emacs config becomes heavy, the way to go is running
Emacs as a server once at system start-up and then use emacsclient
thereafter.  See (info "(emacs) Emacs Server").

--
Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro (oitofelix) [0x28D618AF]
<http://oitofelix.freeshell.org/>

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Viminfo for emacs
@ 2020-04-09  2:01   ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2020-04-09  2:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro wrote:

>> I have recently put together a barebones terminal
>> mode emacs with evil as part of a custom config that
>> starts up at least as fast as vim.
>
> If eventually your Emacs config becomes heavy, the way
> to go is running Emacs as a server once at system
> start-up and then use emacsclient thereafter.
> See (info "(emacs) Emacs Server").

Another way is to invoke Emacs once and then never kill
that instance :)

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

* Re: Viminfo for emacs
@ 2020-04-09  3:01     ` Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro
From: Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro @ 2020-04-09  3:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> writes:

> Another way is to invoke Emacs once and then never kill
> that instance :)

By the way, that’s how I do it. (The Emacs OS way!) :)

--

@ 2020-04-10 19:23     ` Tim Johnson
From: Tim Johnson @ 2020-04-10 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 4/8/20 6:01 PM, Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text
editor wrote:
> Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro wrote:
>
>>> I have recently put together a barebones terminal
>>> mode emacs with evil as part of a custom config that
>>> starts up at least as fast as vim.
>> If eventually your Emacs config becomes heavy, the way
>> to go is running Emacs as a server once at system
>> start-up and then use emacsclient thereafter.
>> See (info "(emacs) Emacs Server").
> Another way is to invoke Emacs once and then never kill
> that instance :)
That is how I handle my gui-based instance of emacs. However, I still
like to use midnight command (mc) and I have always liked the way that
you can launch vim from mc with the mc option of using a designated
system editor. Thus my minimalist instance of emacs with evil acting
kind of like a better vim than vim.

--
Tim
tj49.com

* Re: Viminfo for emacs
@ 2020-04-10 19:25   ` Tim Johnson
From: Tim Johnson @ 2020-04-10 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 4/8/20 5:37 PM, Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro wrote:
> Hi Tim,
>
> Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com> writes:
>
>> I have recently put together a barebones terminal mode emacs with evil
>> as part of a custom config that starts up at least as fast as vim.
> If eventually your Emacs config becomes heavy, the way to go is running
> Emacs as a server once at system start-up and then use emacsclient
> thereafter.  See (info "(emacs) Emacs Server").
Thanks Bruno. I had thought of that, but can emacs/emacsclient be run as
a terminal app?

--
Tim
tj49.com

* Re: Viminfo for emacs
@ 2020-04-10 19:35     ` Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro
From: Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro @ 2020-04-10 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Johnson; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com> writes:

> On 4/8/20 5:37 PM, Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro wrote:
>> Hi Tim,
>> Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com> writes:
>>> I have recently put together a barebones terminal mode emacs with evil
>>> as part of a custom config that starts up at least as fast as vim.
>> If eventually your Emacs config becomes heavy, the way to go is running
>> Emacs as a server once at system start-up and then use emacsclient
>> thereafter.  See (info "(emacs) Emacs Server").
> Thanks Bruno. I had thought of that, but can emacs/emacsclient be run
> as a terminal app?

Sure.  In fact you can have any number of emacsclient instances
(text-based and graphical) simultaneously connected to the same emacs
server: sharing buffers, settings and functionality.

--

@ 2020-04-10 21:42       ` Perry Smith
From: Perry Smith @ 2020-04-10 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro; +Cc: Tim Johnson, help-gnu-emacs

On Apr 10, 2020, at 2:35 PM, Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro <oitofelix@gnu.org> wrote:

> Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com> writes:
>
>> On 4/8/20 5:37 PM, Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro wrote:
>>> Hi Tim,
>>> If eventually your Emacs config becomes heavy, the way to go is running
>>> Emacs as a server once at system start-up and then use emacsclient
>>> thereafter.  See (info "(emacs) Emacs Server").
>> Thanks Bruno. I had thought of that, but can emacs/emacsclient be run
>> as a terminal app?
>
> Sure.  In fact you can have any number of emacsclient instances
> (text-based and graphical) simultaneously connected to the same emacs
> server: sharing buffers, settings and functionality.

On Linux, the default install for emacs uses GTK+.  GTK+ has a bug,
which is documented in the emacs code somewhere, that you can not
close the X windows connection.  The fix is to use emacs built with
Lucid.

So… if you go the route of emacs server but you discover that
sometimes you emacs server dies for no reason, try switching to the
Lucid version.

This bites, in particular when you export DISPLAY to another X server
that is no local.

[-- Attachment #2: Message signed with OpenPGP --]

* Re: Viminfo for emacs
@ 2020-04-10 23:43         ` Tim Johnson
From: Tim Johnson @ 2020-04-10 23:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 4/10/20 1:42 PM, Perry Smith wrote:
> On Apr 10, 2020, at 2:35 PM, Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro <oitofelix@gnu.org> wrote:
>> Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com> writes:

>>> Thanks Bruno. I had thought of that, but can emacs/emacsclient be run
>>> as a terminal app?
>> Sure.  In fact you can have any number of emacsclient instances
>> (text-based and graphical) simultaneously connected to the same emacs
>> server: sharing buffers, settings and functionality.
> On Linux, the default install for emacs uses GTK+.  GTK+ has a bug,
> which is documented in the emacs code somewhere, that you can not
> close the X windows connection.  The fix is to use emacs built with
> Lucid.
>
> So… if you go the route of emacs server but you discover that
> sometimes you emacs server dies for no reason, try switching to the
> Lucid version.
>
> This bites, in particular when you export DISPLAY to another X server
> that is no local.

That's a darn good tip. A preliminary google turns out issues with lucid
compiles and fontification with version ~24

Do you think that is still an issue with 26.3?

--
Tim
tj49.com

* Re: Viminfo for emacs
@ 2020-04-11  1:14           ` Perry Smith
From: Perry Smith @ 2020-04-11  1:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Johnson; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> On Apr 10, 2020, at 6:43 PM, Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com> wrote:
>
> On 4/10/20 1:42 PM, Perry Smith wrote:

>>> Sure.  In fact you can have any number of emacsclient instances
>>> (text-based and graphical) simultaneously connected to the same emacs
>>> server: sharing buffers, settings and functionality.
>> On Linux, the default install for emacs uses GTK+.  GTK+ has a bug,
>> which is documented in the emacs code somewhere, that you can not
>> close the X windows connection.  The fix is to use emacs built with
>> Lucid.
>>
>> So… if you go the route of emacs server but you discover that
>> sometimes you emacs server dies for no reason, try switching to the
>> Lucid version.
>>
>> This bites, in particular when you export DISPLAY to another X server
>> that is no local.
>
> That's a darn good tip. A preliminary google turns out issues with lucid compiles and fontification with version ~24
>
> Do you think that is still an issue with 26.3?

Its not an emacs bug actually but a GTK+ bug.  It bit me June 2019 (give or take)
and I remember trying the latest / greatest emacs at that time (which was not
the standard package on Ubuntu at the time).

Shamefully… I vaguely remember tracking this down before :-(  The bug is
many years old.

I no longer am using that particular set up.

I would suggest use the standard emacs and see if you get hit by the bug
and if you do, try Lucid.  Perhaps others can chime in about the fortification
issues you mention.

* Re: Viminfo for emacs
@ 2020-04-11  1:32             ` Perry Smith
From: Perry Smith @ 2020-04-11  1:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Johnson; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> On Apr 10, 2020, at 8:14 PM, Perry Smith <pedz@easesoftware.com> wrote:
>

>> On Apr 10, 2020, at 6:43 PM, Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com> wrote:

>>> On Linux, the default install for emacs uses GTK+.  GTK+ has a bug,
>>> which is documented in the emacs code somewhere, that you can not
>>> close the X windows connection.  The fix is to use emacs built with
>>> Lucid.
>>>
>>> So… if you go the route of emacs server but you discover that
>>> sometimes you emacs server dies for no reason, try switching to the
>>> Lucid version.
>>>
>>> This bites, in particular when you export DISPLAY to another X server
>>> that is no local.
>>
>> That's a darn good tip. A preliminary google turns out issues with lucid compiles and fontification with version ~24
>>
>> Do you think that is still an issue with 26.3?
>
> Its not an emacs bug actually but a GTK+ bug.  It bit me June 2019 (give or take)
> and I remember trying the latest / greatest emacs at that time (which was not
> the standard package on Ubuntu at the time).
>
> Shamefully… I vaguely remember tracking this down before :-(  The bug is
> many years old.
>
> I no longer am using that particular set up.
>
> I would suggest use the standard emacs and see if you get hit by the bug
> and if you do, try Lucid.  Perhaps others can chime in about the fortification
> issues you mention.

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/tree/src/xterm.c#n10058 <http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/tree/src/xterm.c#n10058>

* Re: Viminfo for emacs
@ 2020-04-11  7:05             ` tomas