all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Is compiling autoloads useful?
@ 2011-12-09 10:15 Roland Winkler
From: Roland Winkler @ 2011-12-09 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs-devel

The Makefile used by the rather old BBDB v2 compiles the file
with BBDB autoloads. Does such a step offer any advantage with a
recent version of GNU Emacs?

Thanks,

Roland

* Re: Is compiling autoloads useful?
@ 2011-12-09 14:12 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2011-12-09 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Roland Winkler; +Cc: emacs-devel

> The Makefile used by the rather old BBDB v2 compiles the file
> with BBDB autoloads.  Does such a step offer any advantage with a
> recent version of GNU Emacs?

It all depends on what gets put in there.  But if you only get calls to
`autoload' and a few calls to `add-to-list', byte-compilation should not
make any difference to the speed of the code.

Some people have reported that byte-compiling their .emacs makes
a measurable difference to their Emacs's startup time, tho, so there
might some advantage, but I must say I don't know where it comes from
(it must be linked to the way the file is loaded rather than to the
actual evaluation; maybe some decoding overhead or something like that).

* Re: Is compiling autoloads useful?
@ 2011-12-09 15:06   ` Lluís
From: Lluís @ 2011-12-09 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: Roland Winkler, emacs-devel

Stefan Monnier writes:

> Some people have reported that byte-compiling their .emacs makes
> a measurable difference to their Emacs's startup time, tho, so there
> might some advantage, but I must say I don't know where it comes from
> (it must be linked to the way the file is loaded rather than to the
> actual evaluation; maybe some decoding overhead or something like that).

Well, I'd say that's because people's .emacs tend to be more complex than an
autoload file :)

apa!

 Tollbooth

* Re: Is compiling autoloads useful?
@ 2011-12-09 15:11   ` Roland Winkler
From: Roland Winkler @ 2011-12-09 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Fri Dec 9 2011 Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > The Makefile used by the rather old BBDB v2 compiles the file
> > with BBDB autoloads.  Does such a step offer any advantage with a
> > recent version of GNU Emacs?
>
> It all depends on what gets put in there.  But if you only get calls to
> `autoload' and a few calls to `add-to-list', byte-compilation should not
> make any difference to the speed of the code.

Thanks!

The file bbdb-autoloads.el is much like the various *loaddefs.el in
the lisp directory (which are not compiled either). It contains
a bunch of autoloads only, except for the lines

(provide 'bbdb-autoloads)
(if (and load-file-name (file-name-directory load-file-name))
    (add-to-list 'load-path (file-name-directory load-file-name)))

> Some people have reported that byte-compiling their .emacs makes a
> measurable difference to their Emacs's startup time, tho, so there
> might some advantage, but I must say I don't know where it comes
> from

I'll try to see whether I can get any measureable difference. Yet I
assume if compiling it made a noticable difference, then compiling the
much bigger standard lisp/loaddefs.el should speed up startup yet
more.

@ 2011-12-09 15:22     ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2011-12-09 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Roland Winkler; +Cc: Stefan Monnier, emacs-devel

"Roland Winkler" <winkler@gnu.org> writes:

> I'll try to see whether I can get any measureable difference. Yet I
> assume if compiling it made a noticable difference, then compiling the
> much bigger standard lisp/loaddefs.el should speed up startup yet
> more.

loaddefs.el is preloaded, so it doesn't matter here.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, schwab@linux-m68k.org

* Re: Is compiling autoloads useful?
@ 2011-12-09 15:38       ` Roland Winkler
From: Roland Winkler @ 2011-12-09 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Andreas Schwab; +Cc: Stefan Monnier, emacs-devel

On Fri Dec 9 2011 Andreas Schwab wrote:
> loaddefs.el is preloaded, so it doesn't matter here.

Thanks. What about the other uncompiled files

mh-e/mh-loaddefs.el
net/tramp-loaddefs.el
calendar/cal-loaddefs.el
calendar/hol-loaddefs.el
calendar/diary-loaddefs.el
emacs-lisp/cl-loaddefs.el
calc/calc-loaddefs.el
cedet/semantic/loaddefs.el
cedet/ede/loaddefs.el
cedet/srecode/loaddefs.el

I assume they are loaded if a particular package such as mh-e is
loaded. So they match exactly the kind of situation I have in mind
with the file bbdb-autoloads.el (which maybe should be renamed
bbdb-loaddefs.el).

Roland