On Wed, Aug 07, 2019 at 06:45:47PM +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote: >> Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2019 17:32:20 +0200 >> From: Ergus >> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org >> >> After thinking on that a little bit more since yesterday; maybe it is >> possible to add another basic face for the rest of the line. That face >> will be merged with the previous face as in the example code, so if it >> specifies :underline then merging should work as specified; else, it >> will just use the :underline from the latest glyph. > >Such a face will not be a fixed face, it will have to be recomputed >whenever the face of the text changes, right? E.g., if the face of >the text specifies some color, you'd want this additional face to have >the same colors, right? > We don't use the face itself, just to merge with the previous glyph. >So it doesn't seem to be a face that can be customized in the usual >sense. We could let the users specify face attributes they don't want >to see in face extension, though. Please look the proposed patch. It may need some improvements, but at least the functional part is a decent solution for all the issues in my opinion.