all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs 26.1: ediff navigation/control window ?
@ 2019-06-25 17:24 jonetsu
From: jonetsu @ 2019-06-25 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

I'm trying to use ediff on two files loaded in their buffers, from the
menu, choosing ediff -> Two Buffers.  The command executes, and one
file is now marked with white lines of differences.  But there's no
control window to easily navigate through the differences.  Several
ediff buffers were created, like ediff-diff, ediff-errors (empty) and
Ediff Control Panel, also empty.

What is the procedure to be able to make appear the ediff
control/navigation window and therefore use simple commands such a 'n'
and 'p' to navigate through the diff output ?

Cheers.

* Re: emacs 26.1: ediff navigation/control window ?
@ 2019-06-25 17:42 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2019-06-25 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2019 13:24:21 -0400
> From: jonetsu <jonetsu@teksavvy.com>
>
> I'm trying to use ediff on two files loaded in their buffers, from the
> menu, choosing ediff -> Two Buffers.  The command executes, and one
> file is now marked with white lines of differences.  But there's no
> control window to easily navigate through the differences.  Several
> ediff buffers were created, like ediff-diff, ediff-errors (empty) and
> Ediff Control Panel, also empty.
>
> What is the procedure to be able to make appear the ediff
> control/navigation window and therefore use simple commands such a 'n'
> and 'p' to navigate through the diff output ?

Is this a GUI session or a TTY session?

* Re: emacs 26.1: ediff navigation/control window ?
@ 2019-06-25 17:54   ` jonetsu
From: jonetsu @ 2019-06-25 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, 25 Jun 2019 20:42:57 +0300
Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

> Is this a GUI session or a TTY session?

This is a GUI session (Xubuntu 18.04) running in the desktop
manager's full screen mode.  I resized the emacs window in case the
ediff control window was hiding behind, but no, wasn't there.

* Re: emacs 26.1: ediff navigation/control window ?
@ 2019-06-25 18:04     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2019-06-25 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2019 13:54:54 -0400
> From: jonetsu <jonetsu@teksavvy.com>
>
> On Tue, 25 Jun 2019 20:42:57 +0300
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>
> > Is this a GUI session or a TTY session?
>
> This is a GUI session (Xubuntu 18.04) running in the desktop
> manager's full screen mode.  I resized the emacs window in case the
> ediff control window was hiding behind, but no, wasn't there.

Strange, that's not what I see in a GUI session.

Does this happen in "emacs -Q"?  If it does, what does this display:

  M-: (frame-list) RET

* Re: emacs 26.1: ediff navigation/control window ?
@ 2019-06-25 18:22       ` jonetsu
From: jonetsu @ 2019-06-25 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, 25 Jun 2019 21:04:41 +0300
Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

> Strange, that's not what I see in a GUI session.
>
> Does this happen in "emacs -Q"?  If it does, what does this display:
>
>   M-: (frame-list) RET

Thanks, that lead to investigate the .emacs file and I traced the
problem to a snippet I got from the Emacs Wiki concerning the speedbar,
to prevent it popping up in another window:

https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/SrSpeedbar

(defadvice delete-other-windows (after
my-sr-speedbar-delete-other-window-advice activate) "Check whether we
are in speedbar, if it is, jump to next window." (let ()
	(when (and (sr-speedbar-window-exist-p sr-speedbar-window)
               (eq sr-speedbar-window (selected-window)))
      (other-window 1)
	)))
(ad-enable-advice 'delete-other-windows 'after
'my-sr-speedbar-delete-other-window-advice) (ad-activate
'delete-other-windows)

Although I do not know much at all with lisp and lisp used in emacs, it
looks like a specific target is used, sr-speedbar although there is
a more generic function used: delete-other-window, about which context
execution is not clear (for me).

* Re: emacs 26.1: ediff navigation/control window ?
@ 2019-06-25 18:51         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2019-06-25 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2019 14:22:11 -0400
> From: jonetsu <jonetsu@teksavvy.com>
>
> (defadvice delete-other-windows (after
> my-sr-speedbar-delete-other-window-advice activate) "Check whether we
> are in speedbar, if it is, jump to next window." (let ()
> 	(when (and (sr-speedbar-window-exist-p sr-speedbar-window)
>                (eq sr-speedbar-window (selected-window)))
>       (other-window 1)
> 	)))
> (ad-enable-advice 'delete-other-windows 'after
> 'my-sr-speedbar-delete-other-window-advice) (ad-activate
> 'delete-other-windows)
>
> Although I do not know much at all with lisp and lisp used in emacs, it
> looks like a specific target is used, sr-speedbar although there is
> a more generic function used: delete-other-window, about which context
> execution is not clear (for me).

Is SrSpeedbar active when the problem happens?  Are any of the windows
whose buffers you compare SrSpeedbar windows?

* Re: emacs 26.1: ediff navigation/control window ?
@ 2019-06-25 19:13           ` jonetsu
From: jonetsu @ 2019-06-25 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, 25 Jun 2019 21:51:55 +0300
Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

> Is SrSpeedbar active when the problem happens?  Are any of the windows
> whose buffers you compare SrSpeedbar windows?

No, (Sr)Speedbar is not active (not visible and was explicitly
activated). I tried to use Speedbar, but so far I find it awkward, or
at least I'm not used to it.  So no Speedbar in sight.

So for now I commented out that piece of code and ediff works fine.