On Sat, Jun 08, 2019 at 04:30:14PM +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote: > > From: Óscar Fuentes > > Date: Sat, 08 Jun 2019 15:06:54 +0200 > > > > Nobody is asking for a change on the default bindings, what we are > > saying it that the user should be allowed to set the binding the > > same way he does for any other binding. > > If you or someone else believe they know enough about the Emacs > keyboard input processing to propose its redesign which will satisfy > the above requirement [...] > Current situation is nowhere near such expertise. Suffices it to say > that several times during the recent years when we needed to make > seemingly-simple changes and fixes in that code, no one had the > courage to approve such changes. For some of them, it later turned > out that we broke some subtle but important use cases, for others we > still have our fingers crossed. So please don't expect any > significant redesigns in that any time soon, as long as all we do is > vent steam here. We have an enormously complex piece of software on > our hands, and we have no better choice than going the "inconvenient" > ways when we want to rebind an unusual key. Well said. The only one stepping forward with some code was Stefan, and personally, I find it a bit discouraging that folks just keep saying what "Emacs Should Do" without investing much effort into understanding what's there and what other users need/want. Software development is a collective effort, and it takes listening as well as talking, I think. Cheers -- tomás