On Sat, May 25, 2019 at 06:40:05AM +0200, Emanuel Berg via help-gnu-emacs wrote: [...] > ?#1: Do people still use IM? I remember > ICQ (I Seek You; Israel 1996 [1]). Those were > good days - at least if you only remember the > good stuff! They do use very diverse, monstrous mutations of IM, all incompatible with each other: whatsapp, instagram, telegram, heck, twitter is also a take in the IM theme. Most of them go through a centralised, corporate-controlled, risk-capital fueled service. Do I need to say more? > ?#2: What do you mean "all the anti-patterns of > the pre-Internet age emerge all over again." It > sounds interesting anyway so do tell... You had a fragmented landscape of "online services" (AOL, CompuServe etc.) and you could only "see" the inhabitants of your fragment of the world [1]. > No doubt they are good guys. Paying for > a service isn't something I would never do for > principal reasons, it is more like it seems > like trouble doing it practically. I mean, how > do you do it? Literally? Bank transfer? Heck -- posteo does care that much about your privacy that you even can pay in cash (for 12 months in advance). Cheers [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Online_service#History -- t