all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de>
To: Stefan Monnier <monnier@IRO.UMontreal.CA>
Cc: cc-mode-help@lists.sourceforge.net, emacs-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: A possible way for CC Mode to resolve its sluggishness
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2019 09:23:40 +0000	[thread overview]

Hello, Stefan.

On Sun, Apr 28, 2019 at 21:46:25 -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> Keeping everything always up-to-date, whether we use them or not, is not
> in itself of any benefit to the end-user.

I may quote you on this at some time in the future.  :-)

[ .... ]

> >> Maybe another part of the problem is that CC-mode tries to do more than
> >> most other major modes: e.g. the highlighting of unclosed strings.
> >> For plain single-line strings this can be fairly cheap, but for
> >> multiline strings, keeping this information constantly up-to-date over
> >> the whole buffer can be costly.

> > CC Mode is successful in this regard.  The highlighting with
> > warning-face of unclosed string openers is a useful feature which other
> > modes could emulate.

> I don't think "successful" is an appropriate description (e.g. I don't
> know what a failure would be).

I was countering your disparaging use of the word "tries", which was
uncalled for.  It suggested that attempts have been made to do things in
CC Mode, but those attempts have failed.  That is not the case.

[ .... ]

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).