all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#35473: accessing remote openwrt hosts gives => Wrong method specification for `ssh'
@ 2019-04-28  9:13 emacsbugs.grokchem
From: emacsbugs.grokchem @ 2019-04-28  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 35473

In emacs on a Debian stable desktop:

  C-x C-f /ssh:myopenwrt-host:/etc/config/

remotely opens the directory on the openwrt router just fine. When a
file in that directory (e.g. "system") is selected, emacs gives:

  "Wrong method specification for `ssh'"

If the same file is selected a second time, emacs opens an empty
buffer.

There is no problem accessing these files without emacs using ssh and
scp.  FWIW, this is the relevant ssh config:

  host myopenwrt-host
    hostname          192.168.1.38
    port              22
    user              root
    IdentityFile      /home/user/.ssh/id_rsa
    ForwardX11        no

* versions *

GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.11)
OpenSSH_7.4p1 Debian-10+deb9u6, OpenSSL 1.0.2r  26 Feb 2019
openwrt-18.06.2-brcm47xx-mips74k-asus-rt-n16-squashfs.trx

* bug#35473: accessing remote openwrt hosts gives => Wrong method specification for `ssh'
@ 2019-04-29  9:43 ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2019-04-29  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 35473

emacsbugs.grokchem@recursor.net writes:

Hi,

> In emacs on a Debian stable desktop:
>
>   C-x C-f /ssh:myopenwrt-host:/etc/config/
>
> remotely opens the directory on the openwrt router just fine. When a
> file in that directory (e.g. "system") is selected, emacs gives:
>
>   "Wrong method specification for `ssh'"

Hmm. Maybe you have no permissions for that file?

> If the same file is selected a second time, emacs opens an empty
> buffer.

That's normal Emacs behavior. It shows you the (empty) file from the
previous attempt.

> There is no problem accessing these files without emacs using ssh and
> scp.  FWIW, this is the relevant ssh config:
>
>   host myopenwrt-host
>     hostname          192.168.1.38
>     port              22
>     user              root
>     IdentityFile      /home/user/.ssh/id_rsa
>     ForwardX11        no

Hmm, user root. There shouldn't be permission problems.

Maybe you set tramp-verbose to 10, and try it again? There will be a
Tramp debug buffer, which you might show us.

Best regards, Michael.

* bug#35473: accessing remote openwrt hosts gives => Wrong method specification for `ssh'
@ 2019-05-10  8:47   ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2019-05-10  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 35473

> Hi,

Hi,

>> In emacs on a Debian stable desktop:
>>
>>   C-x C-f /ssh:myopenwrt-host:/etc/config/
>>
>> remotely opens the directory on the openwrt router just fine. When a
>> file in that directory (e.g. "system") is selected, emacs gives:
>>
>>   "Wrong method specification for `ssh'"
>
> Hmm. Maybe you have no permissions for that file?

I've checked the Tramp code, and it looks like you haven't a proper
program to encode/decode data on the remote host. This is similar to
bug#35639, so I will merge both bugs.

That bug contains also a patch which improves the situation. You might
check, whether it helps also in your case.

Best regards, Michael.