all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Saving and recalling registers, using the same key sequence ?
@ 2019-03-20 17:44 jonetsu
From: jonetsu @ 2019-03-20 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Is it possible to save a text register and use it in the exact same way
at a later time ?

For instance, I define very simple useful things that I recall by doing:

C-x r i i  ;; inserts : #include <>
C-x r i u  ;; inserts : using std::;
C-x r i n  ;; inserts : << '\n';

I would like to have these always ready when editing C++ code.  They
could be globally defined, or bound to the editing of C++ files, I
wouldn't mind.

Thanks.

* Re: Saving and recalling registers, using the same key sequence ?
@ 2019-03-20 19:23 ` Óscar Fuentes
From: Óscar Fuentes @ 2019-03-20 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: jonetsu; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

jonetsu <jonetsu@teksavvy.com> writes:

> Is it possible to save a text register and use it in the exact same way
> at a later time ?
>
> For instance, I define very simple useful things that I recall by doing:
>
> C-x r i i  ;; inserts : #include <>
> C-x r i u  ;; inserts : using std::;
> C-x r i n  ;; inserts : << '\n';
>
> I would like to have these always ready when editing C++ code.  They
> could be globally defined, or bound to the editing of C++ files, I
> wouldn't mind.

You can use `set-register' to set your registers programatically in your
.emacs file:

(set-register ?i "#include <>")

IMO abbrevs are a better choice for what you want. See `Abbrevs' in the
Emacs manual.

Depending on your specific needs and preferences, the Yasnippet package
can be even better.

* Re: Saving and recalling registers, using the same key sequence ?
@ 2019-03-21 14:20   ` jonetsu
From: jonetsu @ 2019-03-21 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Wed, 20 Mar 2019 20:23:52 +0100
Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es> wrote:

> You can use `set-register' to set your registers programatically in
> your .emacs file:
>
> (set-register ?i "#include <>")
>
> IMO abbrevs are a better choice for what you want. See `Abbrevs' in
> the Emacs manual.
>
> Depending on your specific needs and preferences, the Yasnippet
> package can be even better.

Thanks ! Much appreciated.

Cheers.