all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: ELPA announcements
@ 2018-07-16 13:05 Aaron S. Hawley
From: Aaron S. Hawley @ 2018-07-16 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xavier Maillard; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

[Moving to help-gnu-emacs, since gnu-emacs-sources isn't meant for discussion.]

I agree, but technically the package description is on the web site,
but I suppose it could be added.

FWIW, it looks like these e-mails to gnu-emacs-sources originate from
this script:

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/elpa.git/tree/admin/update-archive.sh

On Mon, Jul 16, 2018 at 8:24 AM, Xavier Maillard <xavier@maillard.im> wrote:
> Heya,
>
> dunno if I am alone in this case but I find this message quite useless
> in this state. Why not adding sort of a package description and/or
> what is new in this version ?
>
> Cheers
> --
> Xavier Maillard

* Re: ELPA announcements
       [not found] <mailman.3652.1531750128.1292.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2018-07-16 18:18 ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2018-07-16 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Aaron S. Hawley wrote:

> [Moving to help-gnu-emacs, since
> gnu-emacs-sources isn't meant
> for discussion.]

Do people really still use gnu.emacs.sources?

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

* Re: ELPA announcements
@ 2018-07-16 18:51   ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2018-07-16 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emanuel Berg; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> Do people really still use gnu.emacs.sources?

I do and I guess I am not alone.

--
Xavier Maillard
e/j:xavier@maillard.im                w:www.maillard.im

GPG:                           9983 DCA1 1FAC 8DA7 653A
                               F9AA BA49 09B7 8F04 DE1B

* Re: ELPA announcements
@ 2018-07-16 18:55 ` Xavier Maillard
       [not found] ` <mailman.3675.1531767321.1292.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2018-07-16 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aaron S. Hawley; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> From: "Aaron S. Hawley" <aaron.s.hawley@gmail.com>
> Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2018 09:05:38 -0400
>
> I agree, but technically the package description is on the web site,
> but I suppose it could be added.

I do not want to browse the Internet for such basic information.
Since I spend 99.9% of my time in a GNU Emacs buffer on a non X
environment (linux tty), I tend to limit browsing the Internet at all
;)

Regards
--

@ 2018-07-16 19:00   ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2018-07-16 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Xavier Maillard wrote:

> I do not want to browse the Internet for such
> basic information. Since I spend 99.9% of my
> time in a GNU Emacs buffer on a non
> X environment (linux tty), I tend to limit
> browsing the Internet at all ;)

If you by "my time" mean "my computer time",
then we are techo-twins!

--

@ 2018-07-16 19:02     ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2018-07-16 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Emanuel Berg wrote:

> Xavier Maillard wrote:
>
>> I do not want to browse the Internet for such
>> basic information. Since I spend 99.9% of my
>> time in a GNU Emacs buffer on a non
>> X environment (linux tty), I tend to limit
>> browsing the Internet at all ;)
>
> If you by "my time" mean "my computer time",
> then we are techo-twins!

*techno. Ha ha, "techo" :)

--

@ 2018-07-16 21:25 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2018-07-16 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> dunno if I am alone in this case but I find this message quite useless
>> in this state. Why not adding sort of a package description and/or
>> what is new in this version ?

Yes, that would be much better.

> I agree, but technically the package description is on the web site,
> but I suppose it could be added.

No doubt.

> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/elpa.git/tree/admin/update-archive.sh

Indeed, tho part of it is done in Elisp from

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/elpa.git/tree/admin/archive-contents.el

Patches welcome,

* Re: ELPA announcements
@ 2018-07-17 23:25   ` Rolf Ade
       [not found]     ` <mailman.3758.1531923327.1292.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Rolf Ade @ 2018-07-17 23:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Emanuel Berg <moasen@zoho.com> writes:

> Aaron S. Hawley wrote:
>
>> [Moving to help-gnu-emacs, since
>> gnu-emacs-sources isn't meant
>> for discussion.]
>
> Do people really still use gnu.emacs.sources?

I would love, if gnu.emacs.sources would be a more useful information
source (adding a description of the announced packages would no doubt
make ich more valuable) but I read it anyway, since I'm already on
netnews, because of gnu.emacs.help.

* Re: ELPA announcements
@ 2018-07-18 14:14     ` Arnaldo Mandel
       [not found]     ` <mailman.3758.1531923327.1292.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Arnaldo Mandel @ 2018-07-18 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

The ELPA maintaners could take a hint from the CTAN mailing list.

@ 2018-07-18 14:19       ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2018-07-18 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Arnaldo Mandel wrote:

> The ELPA maintaners could take a hint from
> the CTAN mailing list.

Normally I'm all for the minority report but my
intuition tells me very, very few people use
GES so any improvements there would be a shot
in the dark, unless it would be a quick fix
which after that would be all automated and
just propagate the data to the newsgroup.