all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Default Emacs major mode switched to fundamental-mode?
@ 2018-06-14 23:40 Peter Xu
From: Peter Xu @ 2018-06-14 23:40 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

I did a recent upgrade of my Fedora 28 system, after that I noticed
that my default major mode for Emacs now becomes fundamental-mode
instead of text-mode (I believe it was before).  I noticed this when I
found all my key bindings are missing when drafting emails via
emacsclient invoked.

Now I'm working around this using this as the last statement of my
configuration files:

(setq auto-mode-alist (append auto-mode-alist '(("" . text-mode))))

Just want to know whether there is any better solution for this?  And
why after all we switched the default mode?  Shouldn't that break a
lot of people, or it's just me?

I noticed that there is a "default-major-mode" variable that I can
setup, however it's already text-mode. While if I open another new
common window it'll still be the fundamental mode not text mode.  So
how would I use this variable?

Thanks in advance!

--
Peter Xu

* Re: Default Emacs major mode switched to fundamental-mode?
@ 2018-06-15  7:16 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2018-06-15  7:16 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2018 07:40:26 +0800
> From: Peter Xu <peterx@redhat.com>
>
> I did a recent upgrade of my Fedora 28 system, after that I noticed
> that my default major mode for Emacs now becomes fundamental-mode
> instead of text-mode (I believe it was before).

The default in Emacs was always Fundamental mode.  It's possible that
Fedora changed that in their packages, but the upstream default was
never Text mode.

> I noticed that there is a "default-major-mode" variable that I can
> setup, however it's already text-mode. While if I open another new
> common window it'll still be the fundamental mode not text mode.  So
> how would I use this variable?

Ah, so this might be the reason you thought the default was Text
mode.  Emacs 26 removed the default-SOMETHING variables, so setting
default-major-mode now has no effect.  Instead, use setq-default.