all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to get the number of displayed line the point is in?
@ 2018-06-03  3:58 Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2018-06-03  3:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

as in the subject.  I want to know how far the point is from the top of
the screen.  (What I actually need to do is to inert something in the
current buffer in such a position so that it appears precisely on the
last visible line.)

TIA,

--
Marcin Borkowski
http://mbork.pl

* Re: How to get the number of displayed line the point is in?
@ 2018-06-03  7:41 ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2018-06-03  7:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Re: How to get the number of displayed line the point is in?
       [not found] <mailman.1029.1527998388.1292.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2018-06-03 10:52 ` Ben Bacarisse
From: Ben Bacarisse @ 2018-06-03 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> as in the subject.  I want to know how far the point is from the top of
> the screen.  (What I actually need to do is to inert something in the
> current buffer in such a position so that it appears precisely on the
> last visible line.)

I'd start with:

(progn
  (goto-char (window-end))
  (forward-line -1))

and work round problems like partial lines, the last line not having a
newline after it and whether the display changes as a result of the
positioning as you encounter them!

Caveat: I'm no expert.  For all I know there's a
"put-point-at-start-of-last-whole-visible-line-in-window-without-scrolling"
function.

--
Ben.

* Re: How to get the number of displayed line the point is in?
@ 2018-06-03 15:04 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2018-06-03 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Marcin Borkowski <mbork@mbork.pl>
> Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2018 05:58:07 +0200
>
> as in the subject.  I want to know how far the point is from the top of
> the screen.

Does posn-at-point fit the bill?

> (What I actually need to do is to inert something in the
> current buffer in such a position so that it appears precisely on the
> last visible line.)

Then perhaps pos-visible-in-window-p is your friend?

* Re: How to get the number of displayed line the point is in?
@ 2018-06-07 17:10   ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2018-06-07 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On 2018-06-03, at 17:04, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

>> From: Marcin Borkowski <mbork@mbork.pl>
>> Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2018 05:58:07 +0200
>>
>> as in the subject.  I want to know how far the point is from the top of
>> the screen.
>
> Does posn-at-point fit the bill?
>
>> (What I actually need to do is to inert something in the
>> current buffer in such a position so that it appears precisely on the
>> last visible line.)
>
> Then perhaps pos-visible-in-window-p is your friend?

Thanks a lot, I'll check it out in some Free Time™.

--

@ 2018-06-07 17:11   ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2018-06-07 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tomas; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On 2018-06-03, at 09:41, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 03, 2018 at 05:58:07AM +0200, Marcin Borkowski wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> as in the subject.  I want to know how far the point is from the top of
>> the screen.  (What I actually need to do is to inert something in the
>> current buffer in such a position so that it appears precisely on the
>> last visible line.)
>
> Is it some combination of `line-number-at-pos' and `window-start'  what
> you are looking for?
>
> Besides the section on "Window Start and End Positions" in the elisp
> manual could be a source of inspiration.

Thanks, I'll check these, too (only not within the next 48 hours,
I guess...)

--

@ 2018-06-07 17:12   ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2018-06-07 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ben Bacarisse; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On 2018-06-03, at 12:52, Ben Bacarisse <ben.usenet@bsb.me.uk> wrote:

> Marcin Borkowski <mbork@mbork.pl> writes:
>
>> as in the subject.  I want to know how far the point is from the top of
>> the screen.  (What I actually need to do is to inert something in the
>> current buffer in such a position so that it appears precisely on the
>> last visible line.)
>
> I'd start with:
>
> (progn
>   (goto-char (window-end))
>   (forward-line -1))
>
> and work round problems like partial lines, the last line not having a
> newline after it and whether the display changes as a result of the
> positioning as you encounter them!
>
> Caveat: I'm no expert.  For all I know there's a
> "put-point-at-start-of-last-whole-visible-line-in-window-without-scrolling"
> function.

Thanks, and this might be the best solution (I have fairly good control
over everything in the buffer - e.g., I have truncate-line-mode on.)

--
Marcin Borkowski
http://mbork.pl