all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* C-x h o in Rmail ?
@ 2018-05-29 19:29 Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2018-05-29 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

due to limitations, I had to switch back to Rmail as my mail reader. As
I am an ancient Rmail user, that's not really a problem. Habits gets
back quicker than I thought.

I am just frustrated with something I am pretty sure was possible:
output a bunch a messages into another Rmail file using this
keysequence: C-x h o ~/.cache/mail/ANOTHER-RMAIL-FILE RET

So, Rmail users, did I dream it at some point ?

Thank you.

P.S: I know I can >, get the number of messages, get back to the first
one and it the number + o but I'd rather want to avoid this step as much
as possible
--
Xavier Maillard
e/j:xavier@maillard.im               w:www.maillard.im

* Re: C-x h o in Rmail ?
@ 2018-06-01  9:29 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2018-06-01  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Xavier Maillard <xavier@maillard.im>
> Date: Tue, 29 May 2018 21:29:04 +0200
>
> due to limitations, I had to switch back to Rmail as my mail reader. As
> I am an ancient Rmail user, that's not really a problem. Habits gets
> back quicker than I thought.
>
> I am just frustrated with something I am pretty sure was possible:
> output a bunch a messages into another Rmail file using this
> keysequence: C-x h o ~/.cache/mail/ANOTHER-RMAIL-FILE RET
>
> So, Rmail users, did I dream it at some point ?

And "C-x h" in this context does what, exactly, according to your
dream?  You say "a bunch of messages", which presumably requires to
specify that bunch in some way.  How did "C-x h" do that?

* Re: C-x h o in Rmail ?
@ 2018-06-01  9:56   ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2018-06-01  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2018 12:29:20 +0300
> From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
>
> > From: Xavier Maillard <xavier@maillard.im>
> > Date: Tue, 29 May 2018 21:29:04 +0200
> >
> > due to limitations, I had to switch back to Rmail as my mail reader. As
> > I am an ancient Rmail user, that's not really a problem. Habits gets
> > back quicker than I thought.
> >
> > I am just frustrated with something I am pretty sure was possible:
> > output a bunch a messages into another Rmail file using this
> > keysequence: C-x h o ~/.cache/mail/ANOTHER-RMAIL-FILE RET
> >
> > So, Rmail users, did I dream it at some point ?
>
> And "C-x h" in this context does what, exactly, according to your
> dream?  You say "a bunch of messages", which presumably requires to
> specify that bunch in some way.  How did "C-x h" do that?

You are right, I should have mentionned the context.

According to the help entry, C-x h is bound to `mark-whole-buffer`.

So in my context, let's say I opened my Rmail file (which is big) and
I want to classify all mails from the help-gnu-emacs to another RMail
file, I'd probably do M-C-r help-gnu-emacs@ RET and *then* use C-x h
to select all messsages to output into the another file.

Is it clearer now ?

--

@ 2018-06-01 13:21     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2018-06-01 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2018 11:56:33 +0200
> From: Xavier Maillard <xavier@maillard.im>
> CC: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> > And "C-x h" in this context does what, exactly, according to your
> > dream?  You say "a bunch of messages", which presumably requires to
> > specify that bunch in some way.  How did "C-x h" do that?
>
> You are right, I should have mentionned the context.
>
> According to the help entry, C-x h is bound to `mark-whole-buffer`.
>
> So in my context, let's say I opened my Rmail file (which is big) and
> I want to classify all mails from the help-gnu-emacs to another RMail
> file, I'd probably do M-C-r help-gnu-emacs@ RET and *then* use C-x h
> to select all messsages to output into the another file.

And you would do all that in the Summary buffer, right?

Anyway, I think you were dreaming: such a facility was never part of
Rmail.  I don't see the region being referenced anywhere in the
relevant commands, past and present.  Maybe you had your local changes
which allowed this.

* Re: C-x h o in Rmail ?
@ 2018-06-01 13:32       ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2018-06-01 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2018 16:21:46 +0300
> From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
>
> > Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2018 11:56:33 +0200
> > From: Xavier Maillard <xavier@maillard.im>
> > CC: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> >
> > > And "C-x h" in this context does what, exactly, according to your
> > > dream?  You say "a bunch of messages", which presumably requires to
> > > specify that bunch in some way.  How did "C-x h" do that?
> >
> > You are right, I should have mentionned the context.
> >
> > According to the help entry, C-x h is bound to `mark-whole-buffer`.
> >
> > So in my context, let's say I opened my Rmail file (which is big) and
> > I want to classify all mails from the help-gnu-emacs to another RMail
> > file, I'd probably do M-C-r help-gnu-emacs@ RET and *then* use C-x h
> > to select all messsages to output into the another file.
>
> And you would do all that in the Summary buffer, right?

Correct.

> Anyway, I think you were dreaming: such a facility was never part of
> Rmail.  I don't see the region being referenced anywhere in the
> relevant commands, past and present.  Maybe you had your local changes
> which allowed this.

Humm, maybe. I will have to look after this in one of my oldest config
files thus. I am curious how Rmail users are dealing with that use case.

Eli, do you use Rmail ? Is this something you think could be useful
for other people ?

Regards
--

@ 2018-06-01 13:54         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2018-06-01 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2018 15:32:17 +0200
> From: Xavier Maillard <xavier@maillard.im>
> CC: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> Eli, do you use Rmail ?

Yes, all the time.

> Is this something you think could be useful for other people ?

It could be, but only if one needs to output many messages at once.
Otherwise, "C-u <number> o" does the job.  E.g., I use 'o' all the
time, but never had a need for such a feature.

That said, we have a lot of rarely used features in Rmail, so adding
one more cannot possibly do any harm.

* Re: C-x h o in Rmail ?
@ 2018-06-01 14:18           ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2018-06-01 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2018 16:54:30 +0300
> From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
>
> > Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2018 15:32:17 +0200
> > From: Xavier Maillard <xavier@maillard.im>
> > CC: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> >
> > Eli, do you use Rmail ?
>
> Yes, all the time.

Ah ! There is one more.

> > Is this something you think could be useful for other people ?
>
> It could be, but only if one needs to output many messages at once.
> Otherwise, "C-u <number> o" does the job.  E.g., I use 'o' all the
> time, but never had a need for such a feature.

I do use `rmail-automatic-folder-directives' and friends. That's
perfect and it forces me to read each messages.

> That said, we have a lot of rarely used features in Rmail, so adding
> one more cannot possibly do any harm.

I agree. This is also why I switched from MUA to MUA (gnus, m4e,
notmuch, mh-e, etc..) Too many features that I rarely used.

There is one feature I'd like to see in Rmail: a kind of rmail-summary
conversation-like display -i.e. like M-C-t but with part of the
conversation instead of the repetition of subjects/topics.

Alex Schroeder wrote something like that some years ago but it just
doesn't work anymore. That would probably need some adaptations to run
in current Rmail version.