all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Searching an NNTP group in Gnus
@ 2018-05-11 14:52 N. Raghavendra
From: N. Raghavendra @ 2018-05-11 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I want to search an NNTP news group like `comp.text.xml' in Gnus.  I
have subscribed to the news group on an NNTP server, and am able to read
and post articles there.

The Gnus manual doesn't say much about NNTP searches in news groups
which are not a part of the `gmane' hierarchy.  Is it possible to search
them in Gnus, or with something else?

Thanks,
Raghu.

--
N. Raghavendra <raghu@hri.res.in>, http://www.retrotexts.net/
Harish-Chandra Research Institute, http://www.hri.res.in/

* Re: Searching an NNTP group in Gnus
@ 2018-05-11 15:52 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2018-05-11 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"N. Raghavendra" <nyraghu27132@gmail.com> writes:

> I want to search an NNTP news group like `comp.text.xml' in Gnus.  I
> have subscribed to the news group on an NNTP server, and am able to read
> and post articles there.
>
> The Gnus manual doesn't say much about NNTP searches in news groups
> which are not a part of the `gmane' hierarchy.  Is it possible to search
> them in Gnus, or with something else?

It used to be possible, but the server changed homes, and only got
halfway to the new one. Now we can't search :)

Most "recent" news here:

http://home.gmane.org/

* Re: Searching an NNTP group in Gnus
@ 2018-05-11 18:07   ` N. Raghavendra
From: N. Raghavendra @ 2018-05-11 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

At 2018-05-11T08:52:34-07:00, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:

>> I want to search an NNTP news group like `comp.text.xml' in Gnus.  I
>> have subscribed to the news group on an NNTP server, and am able to read
>> and post articles there.
>>
>> The Gnus manual doesn't say much about NNTP searches in news groups
>> which are not a part of the `gmane' hierarchy.  Is it possible to search
>> them in Gnus, or with something else?
>
> It used to be possible, but the server changed homes, and only got
> halfway to the new one. Now we can't search :)
>
> Most "recent" news here:
>
> http://home.gmane.org/

In any case, Gmane wouldn't have helped me.  The news group
`comp.text.tex' that I mentioned is a Usenet group that isn't part of
Gmane.

Regards,
Raghu.

--

       [not found] <mailman.13639.1526050466.27995.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2018-05-12  0:30 ` Robert Munyer
From: Robert Munyer @ 2018-05-12  0:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

N. Raghavendra wrote:

> I want to search an NNTP news group like `comp.text.xml' in Gnus.  I
> have subscribed to the news group on an NNTP server, and am able to read
> and post articles there.
>
> The Gnus manual doesn't say much about NNTP searches in news groups
> which are not a part of the `gmane' hierarchy.  Is it possible to search
> them in Gnus, or with something else?

You want FAQ 6.3, "How to search for a specific message?"

http://www.gnus.org/manual/gnus_141.html#FAQ-6_002d3

--
Robert Munyer
E-mail: (reverse (append '(com dot munyer at) (list (* 91837 99713))))

* Re: Searching an NNTP group in Gnus
@ 2018-05-12  3:24   ` N. Raghavendra
From: N. Raghavendra @ 2018-05-12  3:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

At 2018-05-12T00:30:32Z, Robert Munyer wrote:

>> I want to search an NNTP news group like `comp.text.xml' in Gnus.  I
>> have subscribed to the news group on an NNTP server, and am able to read
>> and post articles there.
>>
>> The Gnus manual doesn't say much about NNTP searches in news groups
>> which are not a part of the `gmane' hierarchy.  Is it possible to search
>> them in Gnus, or with something else?
>
> You want FAQ 6.3, "How to search for a specific message?"
>
> http://www.gnus.org/manual/gnus_141.html#FAQ-6_002d3

Thank you.  That part of the Gnus FAQ perhaps needs to be updated; nnir
is now a part of Gnus (info "Gnus(nnir)").

I can of course use `gnus-summary-search-article-forward' (M-s), but
searching for a string through a news group with about 30,000 articles
like this is not practical.

As for `gnus-group-make-web-group' (G W), it produces no results with
the search string I give, although just the one group that I am looking
at has many messages that match the search string.

What I was hoping for was a way to use nnir to create an ephemeral group
with the messages, in a Usenet news group, that satisfy the search
criterion, just as it does with IMAP groups.

Raghu.

--

@ 2018-05-12  7:19 ` Felipe Salvador
From: Felipe Salvador @ 2018-05-12  7:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, May 11, 2018 at 08:22:50PM +0530, N. Raghavendra wrote:
> I want to search an NNTP news group like `comp.text.xml' in Gnus.  I
> have subscribed to the news group on an NNTP server, and am able to read
> and post articles there.

Hi,
to search a group in the server I've subscribed I use to browse the
entire list of available groups in the server by hitting  "^", then
selecting {nntp:nntp.server.org} (opened).

@ 2018-05-12  8:53 Kyaw
From: Kyaw @ 2018-05-12  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs; +Cc: eric

test

* Re: Searching an NNTP group in Gnus
@ 2018-05-12 13:58     ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2018-05-12 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"N. Raghavendra" <nyraghu27132@gmail.com> writes:

> As for `gnus-group-make-web-group' (G W), it produces no results with
> the search string I give, although just the one group that I am looking
> at has many messages that match the search string.

It's broken.  The Google page now needs Javascript, so the code doesn't
work any more.  And Gmane dropped the search feature.

Michael.