all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* counsel-dired-jump error "find: paths must precede expression:"
@ 2018-01-18  2:39 John Magolske
From: John Magolske @ 2018-01-18  2:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

When issuing the command counsel-dired-jump from some directories I'll
get this error message:

    find: paths must precede expression: A1
    Try 'find --help' for more information.

yet from other directories the command works fine, allowing fuzzy
searching for a directory to open dired at. I can't sort out why
this error message comes up in some directories and not others...

TIA for any clues,

John

--
John Magolske
http://b79.net/contact

* Re: counsel-dired-jump error "find: paths must precede expression:"
@ 2018-01-18  6:46 ` Yuri Khan
From: Yuri Khan @ 2018-01-18  6:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Magolske; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Thu, Jan 18, 2018 at 9:39 AM, John Magolske <listmail@b79.net> wrote:
> When issuing the command counsel-dired-jump from some directories I'll
> get this error message:
>
>     find: paths must precede expression: A1
>     Try 'find --help' for more information.
>
> yet from other directories the command works fine, allowing fuzzy
> searching for a directory to open dired at. I can't sort out why
> this error message comes up in some directories and not others...

The source of ‘counsel-dired-jump’:

https://github.com/abo-abo/swiper/blob/master/counsel.el#L2183

contains this expression:

    (shell-command-to-string
      (concat find-program " * -type d -not -path '*\/.git*'"))

The * in the first argument will be expanded by the shell to a list of
all files in the current directory, in unspecified order. If any of
them happens to look like a ‘find’ option, ‘find’ will try to
interpret it as one, with unintended consequences.

For example, on my system the following example breaks with the
message you quoted:

    ~$ mkdir /tmp/foo
    ~$ cd /tmp/foo
    /tmp/foo$ touch -- ! A1
    /tmp/foo$ echo *
    !  A1
    /tmp/foo$ find * -type d -not -path '*/.git*'
    find: paths must precede expression: A1

I was also able to cause data loss:

    ~$ mkdir /tmp/bar
    ~$ cd /tmp/bar
    /tmp/bar$ touch -- aaa bbb ccc -delete
    /tmp/bar$ ls
    aaa  bbb  ccc  -delete
    /tmp/bar$ find * -type d -not -path '*/.git*'
    /tmp/bar$ ls
    -delete

* Re: counsel-dired-jump error "find: paths must precede expression:"
@ 2018-01-19  8:13   ` John Magolske
From: John Magolske @ 2018-01-19  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Thanks for the clarifying explanation,

* Yuri Khan <yuri.v.khan@gmail.com> [180117 23:14]:
> The source of ‘counsel-dired-jump’:
>
> https://github.com/abo-abo/swiper/blob/master/counsel.el#L2183
>
> contains this expression:
>
>     (shell-command-to-string
>       (concat find-program " * -type d -not -path '*\/.git*'"))
>
> The * in the first argument will be expanded by the shell to a list of
> all files in the current directory, in unspecified order. If any of
> them happens to look like a ‘find’ option, ‘find’ will try to
> interpret it as one, with unintended consequences.

looking into this further, I found a quoted wildcard resolves the issue:

    (shell-command-to-string
     (concat find-program " -path './*' -type d -not -path '*\/.git*'"))

Seems to behave pretty much the same, except that all the directory
file-paths displayed in the minibuffer are now preceded with a ./

--

@ 2018-01-19  9:47     ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2018-01-19  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Magolske; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

John Magolske <listmail@b79.net> writes:

> looking into this further, I found a quoted wildcard resolves the issue:
>
>     (shell-command-to-string
>      (concat find-program " -path './*' -type d -not -path '*\/.git*'"))
>
> Seems to behave pretty much the same, except that all the directory
> file-paths displayed in the minibuffer are now preceded with a ./

What's wrong with using "find ." instead of "find './*'"?

Robert

* Re: counsel-dired-jump error "find: paths must precede expression:"
@ 2018-01-19 10:07     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2018-01-19 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2018 00:13:02 -0800
> From: John Magolske <listmail@b79.net>
>
> > https://github.com/abo-abo/swiper/blob/master/counsel.el#L2183
> >
> > contains this expression:
> >
> >     (shell-command-to-string
> >       (concat find-program " * -type d -not -path '*\/.git*'"))
> >
> > The * in the first argument will be expanded by the shell to a list of
> > all files in the current directory, in unspecified order. If any of
> > them happens to look like a ‘find’ option, ‘find’ will try to
> > interpret it as one, with unintended consequences.
>
> looking into this further, I found a quoted wildcard resolves the issue:
>
>     (shell-command-to-string
>      (concat find-program " -path './*' -type d -not -path '*\/.git*'"))

Beware: this uses quoting that will fail on non-Posix hosts.  For
portable code, always use shell-quote-argument instead of literal
quotes and backslash-escapes.

* Re: counsel-dired-jump error "find: paths must precede expression:"
@ 2018-01-19 10:11       ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2018-01-19 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs