On Wed, Jan 10, 2018 at 01:02:42PM -0800, Drew Adams wrote: > Given that limitation, I repeat the question: Can't we > use a ("normal") Emacs frame, where things such as faces > do work, to implement tooltips? I believe it should be possible now we have undecorated frames available. I’ve made a (really bad) attempt at proving we can do it. Patch attached. My emacs lisp skills are rather bad, so I couldn’t work out how to get tooltip-hide to work, or how exactly I should set the size of the tooltip, or how to not display the modeline, but it kind of works... Someone who knows what they’re doing should be able to make a better fist of it than me. One possible issue is that it might be difficult to stop frame‐based tooltips from crossing screens on multi‐monitor setups. I know we fix that in Objective‐C code in NS, I don’t know if lisp knows enough about screen geometry to get round it. (BTW, I just noticed that under NS toolbar tooltips are native, while other tooltips aren’t.) > Did someone have to explain to you what a dimmed menu item > is all about? Is that inherently confusing the first time > someone sees it? I think not. A tooltip with dimmed text > is no more confusing. I disagree, a menu item is interactive, or not if it’s dimmed, so it becomes clear quite quickly what dimming means. A dimmed tooltip is still a tooltip, just a bit harder to read. It takes further action to discover that the information its giving you isn’t currently usable. -- Alan Third