all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs + donation
@ 2018-01-10 14:35 d paddy
From: d paddy @ 2018-01-10 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs; +Cc: d paddy

Greetings...

I was initially pointed to info@fsf.org so as to get help with an emacs
question and donate to fsf.
A consequence of that interaction was my redirection to
help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org...

QUESTION: How do I stop emacs from changing what I type?

EXAMPLE:  I type eleven ascii characters into an empty buffer (in
fundamantal mode) and then save the buffer to the file "example"; the hex
values of those characters are

character 1 : 31
character 2 : 32
character 3 : 33
character 4 : 0a
character 5 : 20
character 6 : 20
character 7 : 20
character 8 : 0a
character 9 : 34
character 10: 35
character 11: 36

Moreover those characters above were typed into the buffer by pressing the
following eleven keys on the keyboard

key 1 :  1
key 2 :  2
key 3 :  3
key 4 :  enter
key 5 :  space
key 6 :  space
key 7 :  space
key 8 :  enter
key 9 :  5
key 10: 6
key 11: 7

The word count utility reports only eight bytes in the file "example" --
even though I typed eleven --  and hexl-mode shows those bytes are

byte 1 : 31
byte 2 : 32
byte 3 : 33
byte 4 : 0a
byte 5 : 0a
byte 6 : 34
byte 7 : 35
byte 8 : 36

Emacs evidently changes my input. How do I cajole emacs into reflecting
exactly what I type?

Many thanks.

P.S. I am not looking for opinions about why I might/should want emacs to
change what I type... I'm looking for the "get-off-my-lawn-mode" wherein
emacs faithfully represents exactly what I type ;-)

* Re: emacs + donation
@ 2018-01-10 16:00 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2018-01-10 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: d paddy <d0.paddy@gmail.com>
> Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2018 09:35:36 -0500
> Cc: d paddy <d0.paddy@gmail.com>
>
> key 1 :  1
> key 2 :  2
> key 3 :  3
> key 4 :  enter
> key 5 :  space
> key 6 :  space
> key 7 :  space
> key 8 :  enter
> key 9 :  5
> key 10: 6
> key 11: 7
>
> The word count utility reports only eight bytes in the file "example" --
> even though I typed eleven --  and hexl-mode shows those bytes are
>
> byte 1 : 31
> byte 2 : 32
> byte 3 : 33
> byte 4 : 0a
> byte 5 : 0a
> byte 6 : 34
> byte 7 : 35
> byte 8 : 36
>
> Emacs evidently changes my input. How do I cajole emacs into reflecting
> exactly what I type?

Turn off electric-indent-mode.  When that mode is turned on (as it is
by default), typing RET removes trailing whitespace from the previous
line.

* Re: emacs + donation
@ 2018-01-10 16:06 ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2018-01-10 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

d paddy <d0.paddy@gmail.com> writes:

> Emacs evidently changes my input. How do I cajole emacs into reflecting
> exactly what I type?

Either use C-j instead of enter, or turn off electric-indent-mode
using customize.

Robert

* Re: emacs + donation
@ 2018-01-10 16:07 ` tomas