On Tue, Jan 09, 2018 at 08:44:01PM +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote: > > Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2018 13:33:11 +0100 > > From: Claus Fischer > > > > A few years ago, I filed a bug about debugging unter Emacs with > > gud and gdb. > > > > The problem is that often times when a halt at a breakpoint requires > > a source file to load, the source file replaces the *gud-something* > > buffer, which is extremely disruptive to the work flow. One expects > > to continue typing in gud but finds oneself instead typing into some > > source file buffer. > > How do you invoke GDB? Is it "M-x gdb RET" or "M-x gud-gdb RET"? I > suggest to try the former, and if you already do that, try the command > "M-x gdb-many-windows RET" after the debugging session starts. I also > suggest to start the debugger in a separate frame, and switch to the > original frame when you want to work on your windows you had before > starting the debugging session. I do M-x gud-gdb RET since I found the other not to work as I like; a few years ago, I started it as M-x gdb but then something changed - I don't remember what - and I changed to gud-gdb. What's the difference? I just tried it, I think it's the separate i/o window, isn't it? If so, I'll stick with gud-gdb. I want my debugging session in a single frame, and stdio is not relevant for my programs. I usually have many frames open, but gdb is started in just one, and when it encounters a breakpoint, it splits the frame, and that suits me just fine - except for it sometimes burying the gud window itself. I don't think the behavious depends on there being multiple frames. Is that what you are suggesting? It's hard to reproduce, but it's annoying nevertheless. I do a lot of work in the setting emacs - autoconf - gcc - gdb, and it's generally very productive for work on server code. Best regards, Claus -- Claus Fischer http://www.clausfischer.com/