On 2017-12-16 10:05, Stefan Monnier wrote: > Have you seen my reply last week in emacs-devel? No. Thanks for contacting me off-list about it. >> The attached code allows one to left-justify footnote text from the >> first column of text, instead of from the left margin. I find this >> aesthetically preferable, especially when I have long footnotes. > Could you give some example of the difference? Sure. The current behavior is: [1] Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Donec hendrerit tempor tellus. Donec pretium posuere tellus. Proin quam nisl, The proposed optional alternative is: [1] Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Donec hendrerit tempor tellus. Donec pretium posuere tellus. Proin quam >> Of course, if one has visual-line-mode enabled, the auto-fill acts >> automatically. > Hmm... how does visual-line-mode pay attention to > Footnote-align-to-fn-text (and know if it's inside a footnote)? I double-checked, and I wrote incorrectly. > Some comments about the code: > > body-auto-fill-prefix is just a var into which we temporarily save > the normal fill-prefix. So this should be named with a "[Ff]ootnote-" > prefix (arguably with a "--" somewhere to make it clear it's an > internal variable), and it should be made buffer-local (so there's no > cross-buffer pollution). Done. Note that the file `footnote.el' currently has all its `Private variables' labeled without the "--" convention. > The more serious problem is that `fill-prefix' is set with no guarantee > it will be reset to its proper value later. E.g. if the user returns to > the body "manually" rather than via Footnote-back-to-message. Yes. Corrected. > I suggest you make this into a minor mode: Why a minor mode just for a small option of another minor mode? >> (defadvice Footnote-add-footnote (around abort-when-in-fn-area activate) > I don't see how this relates to this new alignment feature. You're correct. It was part of my personal configuration to address a bug that I had neglected to report, now emacs-bug#29756. UPDATE: ======= The updated code is attached, in two forms: 1) As a patch to the 25.2 version of footnote.el (ie. fully integrated into footnote mode without any need for advising, and; 2) As a snippet, with the feature's functions advised around the mode's current functions. -- hkp://keys.gnupg.net CA45 09B5 5351 7C11 A9D1 7286 0036 9E45 1595 8BC0