all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Masatake YAMATO <yamato@redhat.com>
To: checker@d6.com
Cc: 29097@debbugs.gnu.org
Subject: bug#29097: 25.1; to support '_' as a word constituent, subword-mode regexes need updating
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2017 18:28:42 +0900 (JST)	[thread overview]

> Yes, sexp's include entire brace blocks and whatnot.  I just want to
> forward into valid c identifiers but with subword support.  So there's
> still a big difference between the two functions?

I'm talking in narrower scope: C identifier.
Originally subword-mode focuses on moving the point within a C identifier.

I will use '*' is for the current point position.
I will use '^' is for the point position when you press
a key for forwarding.

Let's introduce an example.

gtk_main

=======================================begin
\M-\C-f works as follows:

gtk_main
*-------^

\M-f(subword mode: off) works as follows:

gtk_main
*--^

\C-f works as follows:

gtk_main
*^
=======================================end

For gtk_main, there is no area that subword-mode works.

Subword more make sense when a user thinks granularity(?) of
moving the point with \M-f is too large.

=======================================begin
\M-f(subword mode: off):

NSObjectGtk_main
*----------^

\M-f(subword mode: on):

NSObjectGtk_main
*-^
=======================================end

subword mode provides finer granularity \M-f to those who thinks
granularity(?) of moving the point with (original) \M-f is too large.

This is the original intention I worked on c-subword-mode, the
ancestor of subword-mode.

In other hand, you are setting,

>    (modify-syntax-entry ?_ "w")

It seems for me that you think granularity(?) of moving the point with
(original) \M-f is too small. This syntax modification makes moving the
point with (original) \M-f larger.

My basic assumption for designing c-subword-mode is not satisfied.
So I cannot show good direction as an original developer.

The mode syntax defines the behavior of \M-\C-f and \M-f in the mode.
Extending syntax mechanism allowing to define upper case, lower case
and something is ideal. The behavior of subword-forward and subword-backward
can be derived from the exnteded syntax.

Masatake YAMATO