all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Compiling emacs from sources
@ 2017-05-03 14:52 Matthias Pfeifer
From: Matthias Pfeifer @ 2017-05-03 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Im trying to compile emacs from sources. "git status" says there are no
changes in my working directory (compared to master branch) and I call
"./configure" and "make". make terminates with following last lines

[SNIP]
Symbol's function definition is void: cl-old-struct-compat-mode
make[1]: *** [emacs] Fehler 255
make[1]: Verzeichnis »/home/matthias/emacs/src« wird verlassen
make: *** [src] Fehler 2

I don't think that something serious is going on since i keep having this
for a while (pulling in changes from the git repository but the error
remains). If I would be pointed to a solution that would be nice...

Matthias

* Re: Compiling emacs from sources
@ 2017-05-03 15:00 ` Eric Brown
       [not found] ` <1493824345764.935552.bea03ee40072dc1f15d8e060f1634a68d082d2af@spica.telekom.de>
From: Eric Brown @ 2017-05-03 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthias Pfeifer; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Matthias Pfeifer <mpfeifer77@gmail.com> writes:

> Im trying to compile emacs from sources. "git status" says there are no
> remains). If I would be pointed to a solution that would be nice...
>
> Matthias

You may wish to try:

make distclean && ./autogen.sh && ./configure && make bootstrap

where the important differences are claening and adding `bootstrap'.
This has fixed weird build problems for me in the past.

* Re: Compiling emacs from sources
@ 2017-05-03 15:03 ` Stephen Berman
       [not found] ` <1493824345764.935552.bea03ee40072dc1f15d8e060f1634a68d082d2af@spica.telekom.de>
From: Stephen Berman @ 2017-05-03 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthias Pfeifer; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Wed, 3 May 2017 16:52:46 +0200 Matthias Pfeifer <mpfeifer77@gmail.com> wrote:

> Im trying to compile emacs from sources. "git status" says there are no
> changes in my working directory (compared to master branch) and I call
> "./configure" and "make". make terminates with following last lines
>
> [SNIP]
> Symbol's function definition is void: cl-old-struct-compat-mode
> make[1]: *** [emacs] Fehler 255
> make[1]: Verzeichnis »/home/matthias/emacs/src« wird verlassen
> make: *** [src] Fehler 2
>
> I don't think that something serious is going on since i keep having this
> for a while (pulling in changes from the git repository but the error
> remains). If I would be pointed to a solution that would be nice...

Instead of "make", "make bootstrap" (and, depending on your hardware, a
fair amount of patience) may help.

Steve Berman

@ 2017-05-03 16:55   ` Matthias Pfeifer
From: Matthias Pfeifer @ 2017-05-03 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Thanks you all for the hints. I have obviously under-estimated the effort
to get a "home-grown" emacs and blindly tried "./configure  && make".

@ 2017-05-03 20:15     ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2017-05-03 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs