all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Alan Third <alan@idiocy.org>
To: Emacs-Devel devel <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
Subject: SIGIO and the NS port
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2017 12:41:17 +0000	[thread overview]

I think I’ve just found a simple solution to a whole class of bugs in
the NS port.

We’ve had a number of bug reports where Emacs crashes while doing UI
related things, for example minimizing the frame, and generally we’ve
found the best way to deal with these is by wrapping the relevant bit
in block_input/unblock_input.

Today I discovered that config.h on my machine has two defines related
to SIGIO:

#define INTERRUPT_INPUT 1
#define USABLE_SIGIO 1

The NS port doesn’t use SIGIO to signal for input (I think it polls
using ns_select), and if I comment these two defines out I can remove
block_input/unblock_input from various places with no ill effects.

Does anyone know of any reason not to remove these two defines?

How would I go about doing that? I assume config.h is generated by
./configure, but I don’t know anything about that side of things.

Thanks!
--
Alan Third