all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* ispell dictionaries
@ 2003-09-05 12:33 Kevin Dziulko
From: Kevin Dziulko @ 2003-09-05 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Where can I find information and descriptions about ispell dictionaries?
Specificlly, I want to set the default dictionary to american.  I also
want to augment it with a personal dictionary.  I pasted this from the
readme.w32 file into my .emacs:

;;
;; ispell
;;
(setq ispell-local-dictionary-alist
  '((nil				; default (english.aff)
     "[A-Za-z]" "[^A-Za-z]" "[']" nil ("-B") nil iso-8859-1)
    ("UK-xlg"				; english large version
     "[A-Za-z]" "[^A-Za-z]" "[']" nil ("-B" "-d" "UK-xlg") nil iso-8859-1)
    ("US-xlg"				; american large version
     "[A-Za-z]" "[^A-Za-z]" "[']" nil ("-B" "-d" "US-xlg") nil iso-8859-1)
   )
)
;;

Thanks!!

* Re: ispell dictionaries
@ 2003-09-05 18:53 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2003-09-05 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 08:33:03 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Kevin Dziulko <dziulko@klaatu.canisius.edu>
>
> Where can I find information and descriptions about ispell dictionaries?

See the documentation of the command ispell-change-dictionary.  The
command itself can be invoked from the menu-bar's
Tools->Spell-Checking->Change Dictionary dialog.

> Specificlly, I want to set the default dictionary to american.  I also
> want to augment it with a personal dictionary.  I pasted this from the
> readme.w32 file into my .emacs:

I see you run Emacs on Windows.  That might be a problem, since you
need to find the american dictionary built for the Windows port of
Ispell.  Sorry, I don't know where to find such dictionaries on the
net.  However, I'd guess that the default english.aff file is actually
for the American English, it's just a medium-size dictionary, not a
large one.

As for the personal dictionaries, see the documentation of the
variable ispell-personal-dictionary.

* ispell dictionaries
@ 2017-02-26 21:56 Anast Gramm
From: Anast Gramm @ 2017-02-26 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

I read ispell documentation and i find this function:
ispell-find-aspell-dictionaries C-h f says this:

--------
ispell-find-aspell-dictionaries is a compiled Lisp function in ‘ispell.el’.

(ispell-find-aspell-dictionaries)

Find Aspell’s dictionaries, and record in ‘ispell-dictionary-alist’.
--------

My question is how can I record them in ispell-dictionary-alist.

I tried (setq ispell-dictionary-alist 'ispell-find-aspell-dictionaries)
but it does not work. I am not familiar with lisp and I can't seem to
find any answers online.

By the way, ispell-find-aspell-dictionaries returns a different list that
ispell-dictionary-alist, and I want to use the first one since it has greek in it

* Re: ispell dictionaries
@ 2017-02-27  3:29 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2017-02-27  3:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2017 23:56:24 +0200
> From: Anast Gramm <anastasis.gramm2@gmail.com>
>
> I read ispell documentation and i find this function:
> ispell-find-aspell-dictionaries C-h f says this:
>
> --------
> ispell-find-aspell-dictionaries is a compiled Lisp function in ‘ispell.el’.
>
> (ispell-find-aspell-dictionaries)
>
> Find Aspell’s dictionaries, and record in ‘ispell-dictionary-alist’.
> --------
>
> My question is how can I record them in ispell-dictionary-alist.

Why do you need to do that?  This function is called automatically by
ispell.el whenever you start spell-checking using aspell.  You
shouldn't need to invoke it manually.

> By the way, ispell-find-aspell-dictionaries returns a different list that
> ispell-dictionary-alist, and I want to use the first one since it has greek in it

That should happen automatically.  If it doesn't work for you, I
suggest to tell the details, perhaps there's some bug.

* Re: ispell dictionaries
@ 2017-02-27 13:30   ` Anast Gramm
From: Anast Gramm @ 2017-02-27 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, Feb 27, 2017 at 05:29:59AM +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2017 23:56:24 +0200
> > From: Anast Gramm <anastasis.gramm2@gmail.com>
> >
> > I read ispell documentation and i find this function:
> > ispell-find-aspell-dictionaries C-h f says this:
> >
> > --------
> > ispell-find-aspell-dictionaries is a compiled Lisp function in ‘ispell.el’.
> >
> > (ispell-find-aspell-dictionaries)
> >
> > Find Aspell’s dictionaries, and record in ‘ispell-dictionary-alist’.
> > --------
> >
> > My question is how can I record them in ispell-dictionary-alist.
>
> Why do you need to do that?  This function is called automatically by
> ispell.el whenever you start spell-checking using aspell.  You
> shouldn't need to invoke it manually.
>
> > By the way, ispell-find-aspell-dictionaries returns a different list that
> > ispell-dictionary-alist, and I want to use the first one since it has greek in it
>
> That should happen automatically.  If it doesn't work for you, I
> suggest to tell the details, perhaps there's some bug.

It seems that me messing with those variables and functions must
have broke something, I undid all the configurations on the subject and
restarted my Emacs server and everything works fine. Sorry for the inconvenience!