all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Getting rid of the GUI pop-ups
@ 2017-02-15 19:09 Tory S. Anderson
From: Tory S. Anderson @ 2017-02-15 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Emacs Help List

With Emacs 25.1.1, password prompts are no longer in the menu bar
but via my (KDE/Plasma) window manager. Not only is this annoying,
it is costly -- it takes 30 seconds to a full minute for the popup
to appear, meanwhile Emacs is frozen. I would love for this to
just be the menu prompt, as it used to be. I've tried

`(setq menu-prompting nil)`

but it doesn't seem to have any effect. I see these prompts most
often when opening .gpg files and when trying to perform a git
push. I'm hoping someone will tell me there is a better way to
disable these than just rebuilding emacs from source with X menus
disabled (particularly as I have been pleased to get my emacs from
the repo without needing to build from source).

Good news would be much appreciated!

- Tory