all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* add argument to a derived-mode
@ 2017-01-13  0:38 Joe Riel
From: Joe Riel @ 2017-01-13  0:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help GNU Emacs

Is there a way to use define-derived-mode to
create a major mode that takes an argument if
the base mode does not?

--
Joe Riel

* Re: add argument to a derived-mode
@ 2017-01-13 14:37 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2017-01-13 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Is there a way to use define-derived-mode to
> create a major mode that takes an argument if
> the base mode does not?

Major modes do not take arguments, no.
Instead, you'll want to define 2 functions:
- a major mode
- the function you want, with its argument, and which internally calls
  the major mode.

* Re: add argument to a derived-mode
@ 2017-01-15 20:49   ` Joe Riel
From: Joe Riel @ 2017-01-15 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, 13 Jan 2017 09:37:07 -0500
Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

> > Is there a way to use define-derived-mode to
> > create a major mode that takes an argument if
> > the base mode does not?
>
> Major modes do not take arguments, no.
> Instead, you'll want to define 2 functions:
> - a major mode
> - the function you want, with its argument, and which internally calls
>   the major mode.

Is it a requirement that major modes not take an argument?
In my case the major modes are not invoked interactively,
so having a required argument isn't a practical problem.
However, if it's considered bad form to pass arguments to them,
I'll make the change, which would allow using define-derived-mode.

--

@ 2017-01-15 22:33     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2017-01-15 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joe Riel; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> Is it a requirement that major modes not take an argument?

Technically, not quite (it may be called with no arguments, so any
argument it can accept should be optional).

> However, if it's considered bad form to pass arguments to them,
> I'll make the change, which would allow using define-derived-mode.

Yes, it's considered bad form and likely to lead to problems sooner
or later.

* Re: add argument to a derived-mode
@ 2017-01-16  1:53       ` Joe Riel
From: Joe Riel @ 2017-01-16  1:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Sun, 15 Jan 2017 17:33:10 -0500
Stefan Monnier <monnier@IRO.UMontreal.CA> wrote:

> > Is it a requirement that major modes not take an argument?
>
> Technically, not quite (it may be called with no arguments, so any
> argument it can accept should be optional).
>
> > However, if it's considered bad form to pass arguments to them,
> > I'll make the change, which would allow using define-derived-mode.
>
> Yes, it's considered bad form and likely to lead to problems sooner
> or later.

Thanks.  I made the changes.  Using define-derived-mode is certainly nicer.

--
Joe Riel