all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: help of some commands not found
@ 2017-01-09 15:34 Michele Bert
From: Michele Bert @ 2017-01-09 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> What are you exactly trying to do?

Nothing important, I was just reading documentation of radomly choosen
commands. But the same happens on a number of commands.

> Trying to guess, I assumed that you are searching for a function's
> description. Trying "C-h f" (same as menu "Help" -> "Describe" ->
> "Describe Function...") gives for me:
>
> What happens for you if you try those steps?

Really I am searching for _command_ help: "C-h F replace-string" gives:
Next: Regexp Replace,  Prev: Replace,  Up: Replace
(emacs)Top > Search > Replace > Unconditional Replace

| 19.9.1 Unconditional Replacement
| --------------------------------
|
| `M-x replace-string <RET> STRING <RET> NEWSTRING <RET>'
|      Replace every occurrence of STRING with NEWSTRING.
|
|    To replace every instance of `foo' after point with `bar', use the
| command `M-x replace-string' with the two arguments `foo' and `bar'.
| Replacement happens only in the text after point, so if you want to
| cover the whole buffer you must go to the beginning first.  All
| occurrences up to the end of the buffer are replaced; to limit
| replacement to part of the buffer, activate the region around that
| part.  When the region is active, replacement is limited to the region
| (see Mark).
| [...]

With "C-h F format-decode-buffer", I get:

Next: Acknowledgments,  Prev: Variable Index,  Up: Top
(emacs)Top > Concept Index

--
Mick

* Re: help of some commands not found
@ 2017-01-09 15:54 ` Kaushal Modi
From: Kaushal Modi @ 2017-01-09 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michele Bert, help-gnu-emacs

Can you recreate this issue in an emacs -Q session? On my emacs version
(25.x), C-h F format-decode-buffer returns this node: (emacs) Enriched Mode

>   If you visit a file and Emacs fails to recognize that it is in the
> ‘text/enriched’ format, type ‘M-x format-decode-buffer’.  This command
> prompts for a file format, and re-reads the file in that format.
> Specifying the ‘text/enriched’ format automatically enables Enriched
> mode.

I do not know if that piece of information existed in emacs 23.x info
manuals.

On Mon, Jan 9, 2017 at 10:36 AM Michele Bert <micbert75@gmail.com> wrote:

> With "C-h F format-decode-buffer", I get:
>
> Next: Acknowledgments,  Prev: Variable Index,  Up: Top
> (emacs)Top > Concept Index
>
> | Next: Acknowledgments,  Prev: Variable Index,  Up: Top
> | (emacs)Top > Concept Index
> |
> | Concept Index
> | *************
> |
> | * Menu:
> |
> | * $ in file names:                       File Names.
> | * ( in leftmost column:                  Left Margin Paren.
> | * *Messages* buffer:                     Echo Area.
> | [...]
>
> --
> Mick
>
> --

Kaushal Modi

* Re: help of some commands not found
@ 2017-01-09 16:17   ` Michele Bert
From: Michele Bert @ 2017-01-09 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Can you recreate this issue in an emacs -Q session? On my emacs version
> (25.x), C-h F format-decode-buffer returns this node: (emacs) Enriched Mode
>
> I do not know if that piece of information existed in emacs 23.x info
> manuals.

Exactly the same as before. I forgot to mention the message buffer
reports: "Info-goto-emacs-command-node: Couldn't find documentation
for format-decode-buffer". I suppose it does not give any information
more than before...

--
Mick

* Re: help of some commands not found
@ 2017-01-09 16:42     ` Kaushal Modi
From: Kaushal Modi @ 2017-01-09 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michele Bert, help-gnu-emacs

Well then, that is self-explanatory :)

As of the emacs version you have, probably the info manual did not have any
references to format-decode-buffer.

Please update to the latest stable release and try again.
I would even recommend updating to the second RC of the to-be-released
emacs 25.2 very soon:
http://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/pretest/emacs-25.1.91.tar.xz

See here to get the latest stable release (25.1) for your OS:
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/download.html

On Mon, Jan 9, 2017 at 11:34 AM Michele Bert <micbert75@gmail.com> wrote:

> Exactly the same as before. I forgot to mention the message buffer
> reports: "Info-goto-emacs-command-node: Couldn't find documentation
> for format-decode-buffer". I suppose it does not give any information
> more than before...
>
> --
> Mick
>
> --

Kaushal Modi

* Re: help of some commands not found
@ 2017-01-09 16:50     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2017-01-09 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Michele Bert <micbert75@gmail.com>
> Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2017 17:17:16 +0100

> > Can you recreate this issue in an emacs -Q session? On my emacs version
> > (25.x), C-h F format-decode-buffer returns this node: (emacs) Enriched Mode
> >
> > I do not know if that piece of information existed in emacs 23.x info
> > manuals.
>
> Exactly the same as before. I forgot to mention the message buffer
> reports: "Info-goto-emacs-command-node: Couldn't find documentation
> for format-decode-buffer". I suppose it does not give any information
> more than before...

Emacs 23.x Info manual doesn't mention format-decode-buffer.

* Re: help of some commands not found
@ 2017-01-09 19:33 ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2017-01-09 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Re: help of some commands not found
@ 2017-01-10  8:40       ` Michele Bert
From: Michele Bert @ 2017-01-10  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kaushal Modi; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> Well then, that is self-explanatory :)
>
> As of the emacs version you have, probably the info manual did not have any
> references to format-decode-buffer.

Thus can I get to the same conclusion for every similar situation? I
mean, whenever I cannot find info for a command, is likely because
such documentation is not bundled in the emacs package version I
installed? Non possibilities of missing external packages, or
unsatisfied dependencies?
In the meantime I am compiling version 25.1. Thank all for answers
--
Mick