all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Read file into *Help* buffer
@ 2016-09-24  0:29 Tim Johnson
From: Tim Johnson @ 2016-09-24  0:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs

Hello :

Using GNU Emacs 24.3.1 in Ubuntu 14.04

Is there a way to read a specific text file into a buffer
(defaulting as *Help*) with help-mode activated?

I.E. I'd like to use some text files to be loaded in the same manner
that would take effect if I invoked help-command or any other
"help-oriented" command.

--
Tim

* RE: Read file into *Help* buffer
@ 2016-09-24  2:03 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2016-09-24  2:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Johnson, Emacs

> Is there a way to read a specific text file into a buffer
> (defaulting as *Help*) with help-mode activated?
>
> I.E. I'd like to use some text files to be loaded in the same manner
> that would take effect if I invoked help-command or any other
> "help-oriented" command.

Functions `help-buffer' and `with-help-window' can help.

Something like this:

(defun file-to-help (file)
  "..."
  (with-current-buffer (help-buffer)
    (with-help-window (help-buffer)
      (insert-file-contents (expand-file-name file)
                            nil nil nil :REPLACE))))

* Re: Read file into *Help* buffer
@ 2016-09-24  2:13   ` Tim Johnson
From: Tim Johnson @ 2016-09-24  2:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs

* Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com> [160923 18:07]:
> > Is there a way to read a specific text file into a buffer
> > (defaulting as *Help*) with help-mode activated?
> >
> > I.E. I'd like to use some text files to be loaded in the same manner
> > that would take effect if I invoked help-command or any other
> > "help-oriented" command.
>
> Functions `help-buffer' and `with-help-window' can help.
>
> Something like this:
>
> (defun file-to-help (file)
>   "..."
>   (with-current-buffer (help-buffer)
>     (with-help-window (help-buffer)
>       (insert-file-contents (expand-file-name file)
>                             nil nil nil :REPLACE))))
  Thank you Drew.

  I'll try this approach tomorrow and report back.
  Cheers

--

@ 2016-09-24 18:17   ` Tim Johnson
From: Tim Johnson @ 2016-09-24 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com> [160923 18:07]:
> > Is there a way to read a specific text file into a buffer
> > (defaulting as *Help*) with help-mode activated?
> >
> > I.E. I'd like to use some text files to be loaded in the same manner
> > that would take effect if I invoked help-command or any other
> > "help-oriented" command.
>
> Functions `help-buffer' and `with-help-window' can help.
>
> Something like this:
>
> (defun file-to-help (file)
>   "..."
>   (with-current-buffer (help-buffer)
>     (with-help-window (help-buffer)
>       (insert-file-contents (expand-file-name file)
>                             nil nil nil :REPLACE))))
  Seems to work as I want - right out of the box!
  Thanks to Drew ...
  :)
--
Tim