all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* windowmanager binding for emacs?
@ 2016-09-07  8:12 joakim
From: joakim @ 2016-09-07  8:12 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I would like to bind, for example, a window manager key such as super-x,
to start a little emacs frame where I can then issue emacs commands.

I tried by creating a custom gnome binding for super-x, but I got
confused by the gnome gui, and at any rate I would like a method that
works the same across xfce, lxde and gnome, if possible.

Surely somebody has already achieved this. Does anyone have any
pointers?

The thing I want to achieve is having a local emacs on each client
machine I use that will perform commands locally. I want this feature
available on a wm global key so it will always work regardless of which
other terminal program I'm using at the moment, such as x2go etc.

--
Joakim Verona

* Re: windowmanager binding for emacs?
@ 2016-09-08  7:52 ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2016-09-08  7:52 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: joakim; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Wed, Sep 07, 2016 at 10:12:55AM +0200, joakim@verona.se wrote:
> I would like to bind, for example, a window manager key such as super-x,
> to start a little emacs frame where I can then issue emacs commands.
>
> I tried by creating a custom gnome binding for super-x, but I got
> confused by the gnome gui, and at any rate I would like a method that
> works the same across xfce, lxde and gnome, if possible.
>
> Surely somebody has already achieved this. Does anyone have any
> pointers?

Over the years, bit by bit, I came up with a hack which suits me.
That said, a word of warning: I'm using (after a tour which took
me from twm up to Gnome and back to XFCE) Fvwm. Those "desktop"
environments are just too complex and heavy-handed for me. I can't
stand when software "knows" what's better for me and I have to
unravel an architecture which reminds of Hieronymus Bosch's worst
nightmares. Opinionated software? It's bad enough that people
have so much opinion :-)

That said, I mapped a pop-up Emacs (-client) X frame to the key
combo "left-windows key + space". This entailed:

 - separating left and right "windows" keys (they are mapped
   to the same modifier, I want to use them separately):

   +-- /etc/X11/Xmodmap -----------------------------
   | ! Xmodmap: global, machine-specific key mappings
   |
   | ! Right super (the "Windows" menu key) shall be a different modifier
   | ! than the left super (mod3 vs. mod4):
   | remove mod4 = Super_R
   | add mod3 = Super_R
   +-------------------------------------------------

 - setting up my Fvwm config to invoke Emacs (wrapped up in a
   small shell script, which I called `imp'). ISTR that I had
   to massage things because my distribution thought it was a
   good idea to configure Fvwm to stop reading the config in
   my home dir. Sheesh:

   +-- ~/.fvwm/config ---------------------------------
   | ## Miscellaneous utilities
   | # "the imp" -- an Emacs client window to take quick notes
   | # (NOTE: make sure there's an appropriate "imp" in your $PATH)
   | Key   Space   A   4  Exec exec imp
   | Style "imp" Sticky, StaysOnTop, BorderWidth 0
   +-------------------------------------------------

 - Set up the imp. I have ~/bin in my $PATH:

   +-- ~/.bin/imp -----------------------------------
   | #!/bin/bash
   | emacsclient -n -c -F '((name . "imp") (menu-bar-lines 0))' \
   |             -e '(switch-to-buffer "*imp*")'
   +-------------------------------------------------

There are sure some bits missing, but as you see, it's a pretty
pedestrian setup which works pretty well (of course, I map more
hot keys to Super_R, typically window manager things -- the right
"window" key is reserved for Emacs things.

My environment is pretty exotic these days, I know, but perhaps
there's some idea in there you can steal.

regards
- -- t

* Re: windowmanager binding for emacs?
@ 2016-09-08  8:43 ` Bastian Beischer
From: Bastian Beischer @ 2016-09-08  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: joakim; +Cc: Help-Gnu-Emacs

Hello Joakim,

I think xbindkeys should do what you want. I've used it successfully for
this purpose in the past.

Cheers
Bastian

--
Bastian Beischer
RWTH Aachen University of Technology

@RWTH Aachen
Office: 28 C 203
Phone: +49-241-80-27205
E-mail: beischer@physik.rwth-aachen.de
Address: I. Physikalisches Institut B, Sommerfeldstr. 14, D-52074 Aachen

@CERN
Office: Bdg 32-4-B12
Phone: +41-22-76-75750
E-mail: bastian.beischer@cern.ch
Address: CERN, CH-1211 Geneve 23

* Re: windowmanager binding for emacs?
@ 2016-09-08  9:02   ` Gian Uberto Lauri
From: Gian Uberto Lauri @ 2016-09-08  9:02 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: tomas; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, joakim

> Over the years, bit by bit, I came up with a hack which suits me.

Cool one. I think I will concot something like for WindowMaker.

--
 /\           ___                                    Ubuntu: ancient
/___/\_|_|\_|__|___Gian Uberto Lauri_____               African word

Warning: gnome-config-daemon considered more dangerous than GOTO

* Re: windowmanager binding for emacs?
@ 2016-09-08 10:59   ` joakim
From: joakim @ 2016-09-08 10:59 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Bastian Beischer; +Cc: Help-Gnu-Emacs

Bastian Beischer <bastian.beischer@rwth-aachen.de> writes:

> Hello Joakim,
>
> I think xbindkeys should do what you want. I've used it successfully for this purpose in the past.

Thanks for the suggestion!

I have something that works now. I wasnt quite able to use the left
super + x, because gnome eats the binding I think. But right super
worked:

"emacsclient -c -n"
    m:0x40 + c:53
    Mod4 + x