all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Release of CC Mode version 5.33
@ 2016-08-26 13:57 Alan Mackenzie
From: Alan Mackenzie @ 2016-08-26 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hello, Emacs.

The following announcement is purely formal - all changes in the newly
released CC Mode 5.33 have already been incorporated into the Emacs
master branch.  However, users of the upcoming 25.1 release may well
benefit from CC Mode 5.33, due, in particular, to its (near) complete
coverage of C++11 features.

Release Announcement
CC Mode Version 5.33
Alan Mackenzie

This message announces the availability of a new version of CC Mode,
an Emacs and XEmacs mode for editing C (ANSI and K&R), C++,
Objective-C, Java, CORBA's IDL, Pike and AWK code.

A list of user visible changes is detailed in the NEWS file and in the
URL listed below.  More information, including links to download the
source, are available on the CC Mode web page:

    <http://cc-mode.sourceforge.net/>

Send email correspondence to

    bug-cc-mode@gnu.org

For a list of changes please see

    <http://cc-mode.sourceforge.net/changes-533.php>

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).

* Re: Release of CC Mode version 5.33
@ 2016-08-30 18:51 ` Bastian Beischer
From: Bastian Beischer @ 2016-08-30 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Mackenzie; +Cc: Emacs-Devel

Hello Alan,

is it intentional that "M-x c-version" in emacs 25.1 RC2 also reports
CC Mode version 5.33, even though the CC Mode shipped with Emcas 25.1
is older and does not include the C++11 changes, for example?

Cheers
Bastian

On Fri, Aug 26, 2016 at 3:57 PM, Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de> wrote:

> Hello, Emacs.
>
> The following announcement is purely formal - all changes in the newly
> released CC Mode 5.33 have already been incorporated into the Emacs
> master branch.  However, users of the upcoming 25.1 release may well
> benefit from CC Mode 5.33, due, in particular, to its (near) complete
> coverage of C++11 features.
>
> Release Announcement
> CC Mode Version 5.33
> Alan Mackenzie
>
> This message announces the availability of a new version of CC Mode,
> an Emacs and XEmacs mode for editing C (ANSI and K&R), C++,
> Objective-C, Java, CORBA's IDL, Pike and AWK code.
>
> A list of user visible changes is detailed in the NEWS file and in the
> URL listed below.  More information, including links to download the
> source, are available on the CC Mode web page:
>
>     <http://cc-mode.sourceforge.net/>
>
> Send email correspondence to
>
>     bug-cc-mode@gnu.org
>
> For a list of changes please see
>
>     <http://cc-mode.sourceforge.net/changes-533.php>
>
> --
> Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).

--
Bastian Beischer
RWTH Aachen University of Technology

@RWTH Aachen
Office: 28 C 203
Phone: +49-241-80-27205
E-mail: beischer@physik.rwth-aachen.de
Address: I. Physikalisches Institut B, Sommerfeldstr. 14, D-52074 Aachen

@CERN
Office: Bdg 32-4-B12
Phone: +41-22-76-75750
E-mail: bastian.beischer@cern.ch
Address: CERN, CH-1211 Geneve 23

* Re: Release of CC Mode version 5.33
@ 2016-09-01 20:47   ` Alan Mackenzie
From: Alan Mackenzie @ 2016-09-01 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastian Beischer; +Cc: Emacs-Devel

Hello, Bastian.

On Tue, Aug 30, 2016 at 08:51:21PM +0200, Bastian Beischer wrote:
> Hello Alan,

> is it intentional that "M-x c-version" in emacs 25.1 RC2 also reports
> CC Mode version 5.33, even though the CC Mode shipped with Emcas 25.1
> is older and does not include the C++11 changes, for example?

Oh, what an idiot I am!  No, it wasn't intentional, I'd completely
forgotten about Emacs 25.1.  :-(  It's too late to change either number,
now.

However, the main thing is that version numbers are mainly for bug
reporting, and if (more likely, when) bug reports for CC Mode come in
from Emacs 25.1, I can assume they're from its own version of CC Mode,
and then check later when that's not the case.

I can see myself releasing 5.33.1 fairly soon, anyway, so hopefully that
will take some of the strain away from the version number mixup.

Thanks for telling me about this.