all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* how to fix too-dark blue keywords with black background
@ 2016-06-03 19:26 barrchris
From: barrchris @ 2016-06-03 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Certain keywords display with an unreadable dark blue, on a black background.
Like: getopts or echo or source, with emacs mode Shell-script[bash].
Other things are too dark in sql-mode: SQL[ansi]

Is it best to change the dark blue in PuTTY settings or in emacs?

It looks like I have a default theme - I see nothing display-related in ~/.emacs.d/init.el or ~/.emacs

I like the dark background, I like the syntax colorizing, it's just these dark-blue colors.

* Re: how to fix too-dark blue keywords with black background
@ 2016-06-03 21:44 ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2016-06-03 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

barrchris@gmail.com writes:

> Certain keywords display with an unreadable
> dark blue, on a black background. Like:
> getopts or echo or source, with emacs mode
> Shell-script[bash]. Other things are too dark
> in sql-mode: SQL[ansi]
>
> Is it best to change the dark blue in PuTTY
> settings or in emacs?

Both!

Start by setting up the terminal colors.

It is a good help to have a test function to
output all colors.

For example the below zsh. Here is a dump what
it shows for me:

    http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/figures/shell/test-colors.png

Then get the colors right. I don't know how to
do that for PuTTY - for the Linux VTs and
X (e.g., xterm) tho there are some material
here:

    http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/cols/www/index.html
    http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/cols/www/COLORS
    http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/scripts/cols

After you have done this, nine out of ten
colors in Emacs should look good. If you see
one that doesn't, place point at it and use
this function to find out what face it is:

    (defun what-face (pos)
      (interactive "d")
      (let((face (or (get-char-property pos 'face)
                     (get-char-property pos 'read-cf-name) )))
        (message " Face: %s" (or face "(no face!)")) ))

Then re-assign the face some other color which
is better in that context.

Oh, the zsh - change into bash if needed:

set-fg-color () { tput setaf $1 } # color ($1) is 0-7
set-bg-color () { tput setab $1 }
set-bold     () { tput bold }
reset-color  () { tput sgr0 }

test-colors () {
    local color_number
    local color

    local -a color_names
    color_names=(black red green yellow blue magenta cyan white)

    echo
    for color_number in {0..7}; do
        echo -n "   $color_number   "
        set-fg-color $color_number
        color=$color_names[(( $color_number + 1 ))]
        echo -n $color "\t"; tput bold; echo $color
        reset-color
    done
    echo
}

From the file: http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/conf/.zsh/vt

Good luck!

                   - so far: 45 Blogomatic articles -

* Re: how to fix too-dark blue keywords with black background
@ 2016-06-10 13:41 ` barrchris
From: barrchris @ 2016-06-10 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Friday, June 3, 2016 at 3:26:48 PM UTC-4, barr...@gmail.com wrote:
> Certain keywords display with an unreadable dark blue, on a black background.
> Like: getopts or echo or source, with emacs mode Shell-script[bash].
> Other things are too dark in sql-mode: SQL[ansi]
>
> Is it best to change the dark blue in PuTTY settings or in emacs?
>
> It looks like I have a default theme - I see nothing display-related in ~/.emacs.d/init.el or ~/.emacs
>
> I like the dark background, I like the syntax colorizing, it's just these dark-blue colors.

I only need to change one color - is there a simple way to do this in Putty or in emacs?

* Re: how to fix too-dark blue keywords with black background
@ 2016-06-10 14:04   ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2016-06-10 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

barrchris@gmail.com writes:

> I only need to change one color - is there
> a simple way to do this in Putty or in emacs?

Place point at the text which has the color,
then use this function

    (defun what-face (pos)
      (interactive "d")
      (let((face (or (get-char-property pos 'face)
                     (get-char-property pos 'read-cf-name) )))
        (message " Face: %s" (or face "(no face!)")) ))

to find out what face it is.

If it is, say, `w3m-image-anchor', use this to
set it to white foreground, green background,
using the bold (or bright) version of white
(the fifth argument being t).

    (modify-face 'w3m-image-anchor   "white" "green"  nil t)

Eval these for cool effects with the Mode line:

    (modify-face 'mode-line          "white" "blue" nil t)
    (modify-face 'mode-line-inactive "white" "red"  nil nil)

Most often you don't want a background, so set it to nil:

    (modify-face 'gnus-group-news-6        "blue" nil nil t)

And so on. Dig deep...

If you want to change the color itself, i.e.
what RGB composition it means to be "white"
(and green, blue, red, etc.) I do this in the
Linux VTs and in xterm [1] - in PuTTY,
a Windows ssh/telnet client, I suspect it is
still possible.

[1] http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/blogomatic/emacs/colors.html

                   - so far: 48 Blogomatic articles -

* Re: how to fix too-dark blue keywords with black background
@ 2016-06-10 14:52 ` barrchris
From: barrchris @ 2016-06-10 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Friday, June 3, 2016 at 3:26:48 PM UTC-4, barr...@gmail.com wrote:
> Certain keywords display with an unreadable dark blue, on a black background.
> Like: getopts or echo or source, with emacs mode Shell-script[bash].
> Other things are too dark in sql-mode: SQL[ansi]
>
> Is it best to change the dark blue in PuTTY settings or in emacs?
>
> It looks like I have a default theme - I see nothing display-related in ~/.emacs.d/init.el or ~/.emacs
>
> I like the dark background, I like the syntax colorizing, it's just these dark-blue colors.

Thanks, but how can I "use this function" ?
paste it in my .emacs?

@ 2016-06-10 16:21   ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2016-06-10 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs