all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Getting _help_ on last response from C-h c
@ 2016-06-01  0:41 Tim Johnson
From: Tim Johnson @ 2016-06-01  0:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs

On GNU Emacs 24.3.1 :
Let's say I type C-h c C-M-a

Help returns
C-M-a runs the command beginning-of-defun

As I understand it, to get _help_ on beginning-of-defun, I have to
then type
C-h f beginning-of-defun

Is there a way that would return both the binding and help on the
bound function?

Example:

C-h x (currently undefined) C-M-a
would return
C-M-a runs the command beginning-of-defun
*and*
beginning-of-defun is an interactive compiled Lisp function ...

Thanks
--
Tim

* Re: Getting _help_ on last response from C-h c
@ 2016-06-01  0:49 ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2016-06-01  0:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com> writes:

> On GNU Emacs 24.3.1 :
> Let's say I type C-h c C-M-a
>
> Help returns
> C-M-a runs the command beginning-of-defun
>
> As I understand it, to get _help_ on beginning-of-defun, I have to
> then type C-h f beginning-of-defun
>
> Is there a way that would return both the binding and help on the
> bound function?

C-h k.

I suggest to learn a bit about the different help commands Emacs offers.
Use C-h C-h (`help-for-help') when in doubt.

Regards,

Michael.

* Re: Getting _help_ on last response from C-h c
@ 2016-06-01  0:59   ` Tim Johnson
From: Tim Johnson @ 2016-06-01  0:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Michael Heerdegen <michael_heerdegen@web.de> [160531 16:51]:
> Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com> writes:
>
> > On GNU Emacs 24.3.1 :
> > Let's say I type C-h c C-M-a
> >
> > Help returns
> > C-M-a runs the command beginning-of-defun
> >
> > As I understand it, to get _help_ on beginning-of-defun, I have to
> > then type C-h f beginning-of-defun
> >
> > Is there a way that would return both the binding and help on the
> > bound function?
>
> C-h k.
>
> I suggest to learn a bit about the different help commands Emacs offers.
> Use C-h C-h (`help-for-help') when in doubt.
  Thanks for the quick reply Michael.

  I use C-h C-h frequently

  From what I read there, I see no built-in way to get a "one-stop"
  response such as I have described in my opening post.

  Perhaps I have missed something?
--

@ 2016-06-01  1:06     ` Tim Johnson
From: Tim Johnson @ 2016-06-01  1:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com> [160531 17:05]:
> * Michael Heerdegen <michael_heerdegen@web.de> [160531 16:51]:
> > Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com> writes:
> >
> > > On GNU Emacs 24.3.1 :
> > > Let's say I type C-h c C-M-a
> > >
> > > Help returns
> > > C-M-a runs the command beginning-of-defun
> > >
> > > As I understand it, to get _help_ on beginning-of-defun, I have to
> > > then type C-h f beginning-of-defun
> > >
> > > Is there a way that would return both the binding and help on the
> > > bound function?
> >
> > C-h k.
> >
> > I suggest to learn a bit about the different help commands Emacs offers.
> > Use C-h C-h (`help-for-help') when in doubt.
>   Thanks for the quick reply Michael.
>
>   I use C-h C-h frequently
>
>   From what I read there, I see no built-in way to get a "one-stop"
>   response such as I have described in my opening post.
>
>   Perhaps I have missed something?
  Additionally - I have searched the package list.
  from M-x list-packages, I haven't found anything like that.

--

@ 2016-06-01  2:21     ` Dmitry Alexandrov
From: Dmitry Alexandrov @ 2016-06-01  2:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com> writes:

> * Michael Heerdegen <michael_heerdegen@web.de> [160531 16:51]:
>> Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com> writes:
>>
>> > On GNU Emacs 24.3.1 :
>> > Let's say I type C-h c C-M-a
>> >
>> > Help returns
>> > C-M-a runs the command beginning-of-defun
>> >
>> > As I understand it, to get _help_ on beginning-of-defun, I have to
>> > then type C-h f beginning-of-defun
>> >
>> > Is there a way that would return both the binding and help on the
>> > bound function?
>>
>> C-h k.
>>
>> I suggest to learn a bit about the different help commands Emacs offers.
>> Use C-h C-h (`help-for-help') when in doubt.
>   Thanks for the quick reply Michael.
>
>   I use C-h C-h frequently
>
>   From what I read there, I see no built-in way to get a "one-stop"
>   response such as I have described in my opening post.
>
>   Perhaps I have missed something?

So why ‘C-h k’ does not meet your needs?

If you’d like to have a more comprehensive help, you might try ‘C-h K’
to get a info node about a command that bound to a key, but note that
not every function is documented in the Manual.

* Re: Getting _help_ on last response from C-h c
@ 2016-06-01  2:46       ` Tim Johnson
From: Tim Johnson @ 2016-06-01  2:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Dmitry Alexandrov <321942@gmail.com> [160531 18:28]:
> Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com> writes:

<...>
> So why ‘C-h k’ does not meet your needs?
>
> If you’d like to have a more comprehensive help, you might try ‘C-h K’
> to get a info node about a command that bound to a key, but note that
> not every function is documented in the Manual.

  'Ch k' *is* what I was looking for, and 'C-h K' is an additional
  bonus.
  thank you very much.

  (I don't know why I overlooked that but I did, and thanks very
  much for pointing it out.)

--
Tim