On Thu, 21 Jan 2016 13:44:03 -0600, in message CAFMGiz_qX6SCJU5ta0emDA2YaT0AF-2sFgpDQeBPdtfMUNq0aw@mail.gmail.com, Tom Browder wrote: > I have bitten the bullet to start using Emacs vs. my 20+ years using > XEmacs use. I have never been a real power user, but I have my > init.el doing the things I need most. > > So far I have discovered the excellent "M-x list-packages" way to > install packages and have started trying to duplicate the behavior I'm > used to with XEmacs. I've also discovered Eric Schulte's "Emacs 24 > Starter Kit" here: > > http://github.com/eschulte/emacs24-starter-kit/ > > but I will save that for a bit later. > > One of the things I use all the time in XEmacs is NO line wrapping > except when I manually use function "fill-paragraph". (I have that > bound to a key for ease of use.) I will admit that the > "fill-paragraph" didn't work reliably in XEmacs in all modes (I hope > Emacs will be able to fix that), but for the most part it does what I > need in XEmacs. But I cannot get it to work in Emacs. > > Here's my entire Emacs init.el at the moment (all blank lines and some > comments removed): > > ; Personal emacs mods of Tom Browder > (require 'package) > (add-to-list 'package-archives '("melpa" . > "http://melpa.org/packages/")) ; packages installed via M-x > list-packages: ; perl6-mode > (setq-default major-mode 'text-mode) > (set-default 'truncate-lines t) > (setq-default fill-column 70) > (global-set-key [f6] 'fill-paragraph) > ; prefer cperl for Perl 5 > (defalias 'perl-mode 'cperl-mode) > > So far, and only using a text buffer, the truncate lines t seems to > work, but I can't get any such line to wrap with the "fill-paragraph" > function. Here are some lines from my init file: ;;; Set the major mode for new buffers to text-mode: (setq major-more 'text-mode) ;;; Set the fill column: (add-hook 'text-mode-hook (lambda () (setq-default fill-column 66))) Also, Emacs defines M-q to run fill-paragraph by default; there's no need to define your own keybinding. Anyway, I hope this helps. --Dale -- "Wanted: Young, skinny, wirey fellows not over 18. Must be expert riders willing to risk death daily. Orphans preferred. Wages $25 per week." -- Pony Express advertisement, 1860