all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Mac: Don't quit Emacs when window is closed
@ 2016-01-17 20:07 Luis Gerhorst
From: Luis Gerhorst @ 2016-01-17 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,
I have the problem that I always quit Emacs by mistake when I am done with a task by clicking the button to close the Emacs window. I have a few ideas / questions:

- Wouldn't it be a good idea to make Emacs act like most Mac application and not quit the application when the window is closed? Is there some reason why this is not possible?
- How can I disable the button to close the window or make it call suspend-frame instead of save-buffers-kill-emacs?

Best wishes from Germany,
Luis Gerhorst

* Re: Mac: Don't quit Emacs when window is closed
@ 2016-01-17 22:40 ` Marcin Borkowski
       [not found]   ` <mailman.2484.1453090928.843.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2016-01-17 22:40 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Luis Gerhorst; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On 2016-01-17, at 21:07, Luis Gerhorst <privat@luisgerhorst.de> wrote:

> Hi,
> I have the problem that I always quit Emacs by mistake when I am done with a task by clicking the button to close the Emacs window. I have a few ideas / questions:
>
> - Wouldn't it be a good idea to make Emacs act like most Mac application and not quit the application when the window is closed? Is there some reason why this is not possible?
> - How can I disable the button to close the window or make it call suspend-frame instead of save-buffers-kill-emacs?

Would this help a bit?

(setq confirm-kill-emacs #'yes-or-no-p)

> Best wishes from Germany,
> Luis Gerhorst

Hth,

--
Marcin Borkowski
Adam Mickiewicz University

* Re: Mac: Don't quit Emacs when window is closed
@ 2016-01-18  4:21   ` Random832
       [not found]   ` <mailman.2484.1453090928.843.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Random832 @ 2016-01-18  4:21 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Would this help a bit?
>
> (setq confirm-kill-emacs #'yes-or-no-p)

The wider issue is that people expect to be able to close all windows
and keep an app open (the menu remains open). This "kind of but not
really" works in Emacs server mode, and doesn't work at all [but at
least doesn't get in a weird half-state] with normal single-session GUI
usage.

* Re: Mac: Don't quit Emacs when window is closed
@ 2016-01-18  7:15 ` Nick Helm
From: Nick Helm @ 2016-01-18  7:15 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Luis Gerhorst; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> I have the problem that I always quit Emacs by mistake when I am done
> with a task by clicking the button to close the Emacs window. I have a
> few ideas / questions:
>
> - Wouldn't it be a good idea to make Emacs act like most Mac
> application and not quit the application when the window is closed? Is
> there some reason why this is not possible?
> - How can I disable the button to close the window or make it call
> suspend-frame instead of save-buffers-kill-emacs?

I wanted to do something similar on my mac-port emacs a while back and
added this to my init.el:

   (defun nick-mac-hide-last-frame (orig-fun &rest args)
      "Check if last visible frame is being closed and hide it instead."
      (if (and (featurep 'mac)
               (display-graphic-p nil)
               (= 1 (length (frame-list)))) (progn
         (when (eq (frame-parameter (selected-frame) 'fullscreen) 'fullscreen)
            (set-frame-parameter (selected-frame) 'fullscreen nil)
            (sit-for 1.2))
         (mac-do-applescript "tell application \"System Events\" \
            to tell process \"Emacs\" to set visible to false")
         (sit-for 1.5)
         (modify-frame-parameters (selected-frame) default-frame-alist)
         (delete-other-windows)
         (switch-to-buffer "*scratch*"))
        (apply orig-fun args)))

   (defun nick-handle-delete-frame (event)
      "Hide last visible frame when clicking frame close button."
      (interactive "e")
      (let ((frame (posn-window (event-start event))))
         (delete-frame frame t)))

   (defun nick-save-buffers-kill-terminal (&optional arg)
      "Hide last visible frame instead of closing Emacs."
      (interactive "P")
      (delete-frame (selected-frame) t))

   (advice-add 'delete-frame :around #'nick-mac-hide-last-frame)
   (advice-add 'handle-delete-frame :override #'nick-handle-delete-frame)
   (advice-add 'save-buffers-kill-terminal :override
      #'nick-save-buffers-kill-terminal)

This uses applescript to hide the last frame instead of closing it. The
OS takes care of the unhiding when you click on the dock icon, relaunch
the app, double click a file, etc. Do Emacs > Quit Emacs or `kill-emacs'
to exit.

It doesn't leave the emacs menubar visible after a frame is closed, but
I've not found that to be a problem in practice.

If you don't use the mac-port you can probably do the same thing by
dropping in ns-do-applescript, although I haven't tried it.

Nick

* Re: Mac: Don't quit Emacs when window is closed
@ 2016-01-18  9:11 ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2016-01-18  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

@ 2016-01-18 17:05     ` Barry Margolin
From: Barry Margolin @ 2016-01-18 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In article <mailman.2484.1453090928.843.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
 Random832 <random832@fastmail.com> wrote:

> Marcin Borkowski <mbork@mbork.pl> writes:
> > Would this help a bit?
> >
> > (setq confirm-kill-emacs #'yes-or-no-p)
>
> The wider issue is that people expect to be able to close all windows
> and keep an app open (the menu remains open).

It's perfectly normal and expected for Mac applications, which is one of
the reasons why the Mac menu bar is attached to the screen, not
individual windows. Some single-window applications automatically quit
when you close that window, but this would be unusual for multi-window
applications.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA

* Re: Mac: Don't quit Emacs when window is closed
@ 2016-01-18 18:03       ` Philipp Stephani
From: Philipp Stephani @ 2016-01-18 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Barry Margolin, help-gnu-emacs

Barry Margolin <barmar@alum.mit.edu> schrieb am Mo., 18. Jan. 2016 um
18:10 Uhr:

> In article <mailman.2484.1453090928.843.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
>  Random832 <random832@fastmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Marcin Borkowski <mbork@mbork.pl> writes:
> > > Would this help a bit?
> > >
> > > (setq confirm-kill-emacs #'yes-or-no-p)
> >
> > The wider issue is that people expect to be able to close all windows
> > and keep an app open (the menu remains open).
>
> It's perfectly normal and expected for Mac applications, which is one of
> the reasons why the Mac menu bar is attached to the screen, not
> individual windows. Some single-window applications automatically quit
> when you close that window, but this would be unusual for multi-window
> applications.

Basically, Emacs should run the equivalent of (delete-frame nil :force)
when closing its window on OS X, not kill-emacs. When clicking the dock
icon without a frame present, a new one should be created with e.g.
make-frame.

* Re: Mac: Don't quit Emacs when window is closed
@ 2016-01-19 18:31     ` Luis Gerhorst
From: Luis Gerhorst @ 2016-01-19 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Random832; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

So it's not possible for Emacs to have no frames and still be running?

@ 2016-01-19 18:35   ` Luis Gerhorst
From: Luis Gerhorst @ 2016-01-19 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Nick Helm; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Thanks! I tried it but it gives me some error in GNU Emacs. For the beginning I instead added this code wich make C-z no longer painful on OS X:

(when (eq system-type 'darwin)
  (global-set-key [remap suspend-frame] 'ns-do-hide-emacs))

Without it the Emacs window minimizes slowly into the dock on my iMac 27" Retina.

@ 2016-01-19 21:46     ` Luis Gerhorst
From: Luis Gerhorst @ 2016-01-19 21:46 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I now found a solution that works pretty neat

;; Directly copied from frame.el but now hide Emacs instead of killing
;; it when last frame will be closed.
(defun handle-delete-frame-without-kill-emacs (event)
  "Handle delete-frame events from the X server."
  (interactive "e")
  (let ((frame (posn-window (event-start event)))
        (i 0)
        (tail (frame-list)))
    (while tail
      (and (frame-visible-p (car tail))
           (not (eq (car tail) frame))
           (setq i (1+ i)))
      (setq tail (cdr tail)))
    (if (> i 0)
        (delete-frame frame t)
      ;; Not (save-buffers-kill-emacs) but instead:
      (ns-do-hide-emacs))))

(when (eq system-type 'darwin)
  (advice-add 'handle-delete-frame :override
              #'handle-delete-frame-without-kill-emacs))

This code overrides that functions that handles the close-window button and makes it hide Emacs instead of quitting the application when the last Emacs frame is closed. C-x C-c and everything else still works as expected. It's not completely optimal since it doesn't really close the frame and also does not ask you if you want to save any changed buffers (it does however when you kill Emacs).

@ 2016-01-19 22:04     ` Nick Helm
From: Nick Helm @ 2016-01-19 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Luis Gerhorst; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> Thanks! I tried it but it gives me some error in GNU Emacs. For the
> beginning I instead added this code wich make C-z no longer painful on
> OS X:
>
> (when (eq system-type 'darwin)
>   (global-set-key [remap suspend-frame] 'ns-do-hide-emacs))
>
> Without it the Emacs window minimizes slowly into the dock on my iMac
> 27" Retina.

On OSX emacs, `suspend-frame' is the equivalent of clicking the yellow
minimise button on the window decoration. This is normally on C-z. You
could try using s-h (super-h) instead, which is pre-mapped to
`ns-do-hide-emacs' and should give you a quick hide key if that's what
you need.

Sorry about the error on GNU/Emacs. Try replacing the first function
with this instead:

   (defun nh-mac-hide-last-frame (orig-fun &rest args)
      "Check if last visible frame is being closed and hide it instead."
      (if (and (featurep 'ns)
               (display-graphic-p nil)
               (= 1 (length (frame-list)))) (progn
         (when (eq (frame-parameter (selected-frame) 'fullscreen) 'fullboth)
            (set-frame-parameter (selected-frame) 'fullscreen nil)
            (sit-for 1.2))
         (ns-hide-emacs t)
         (sit-for 1.5)
         (modify-frame-parameters (selected-frame) default-frame-alist)
         (delete-other-windows)
         (switch-to-buffer "*scratch*"))
        (apply orig-fun args)))

This just replaces the mac-* functions with ns-* equivalents. Having
access to `ns-hide-emacs' and `ns-do-hide-emacs' is much nicer than
messing about with applescript imho.

One more thing, if you'd like the frame reset to work (so the unhidden
frame has the same position and size properties as a new frame), make
sure you have default-frame-alist defined in your init.el. Even better is
to set the frame parameters in ~/Library/Preferences/org.gnu.emacs.plist
to avoid that annoying flicker as the frame resizes during startup.

Nick

* repeating a search a certain number of times
@ 2016-01-21 17:36       ` Timur Aydin
From: Timur Aydin @ 2016-01-21 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

I have been looking for a way to repeat a search a certain number of
times, and from the documentation i have found the search-forward
function to do that:

(search-forward "something" nil nil 5)

But unfortunately this isn't bound to a key. The docstring says it is
bound to <find>, but I don't know what that means. It isn't a lisp
function. I thought maybe it is a menu item, but can't see that in the
menu either.

So my question is, how can I bind this to a key so that when I press it,
it asks me for the string, then the repetition count and then goes ahead
and finds it?

--
Timur

* RE: repeating a search a certain number of times
@ 2016-01-21 18:10         ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2016-01-21 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Timur Aydin, help-gnu-emacs

> I have been looking for a way to repeat a search a certain number of
> times, and from the documentation i have found the search-forward
> function to do that:
>
> (search-forward "something" nil nil 5)
>
> But unfortunately this isn't bound to a key. The docstring says it is
> bound to <find>, but I don't know what that means. It isn't a lisp
> function. I thought maybe it is a menu item, but can't see that in the
> menu either.
>
> So my question is, how can I bind this to a key so that when I press it,
> it asks me for the string, then the repetition count and then goes ahead
> and finds it?

`search-forward' is bound to `C-s RET'. Just repeat `C-s RET' to repeat
your search (no need to enter the same input again).

See the Emacs manual, node `Nonincremental Search': `C-h r g noni TAB RET'.

Is there some reason you do not want to use incremental search: `C-s'?
If you do that, then just repeat `C-s'.

See the Emacs manual, node `Incremental Search': `C-h r g incr TAB RET'.