all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Find file locally from Tramp buffer
@ 2016-01-06 19:35 Alexander Shukaev
From: Alexander Shukaev @ 2016-01-06 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hey everyone,

Suppose I run builds on a dedicated build machine with `compile' via
Tramp.  When there is an error displayed and one follows it, clearly
Emacs tries to access the corresponding file remotely.  But in my case,
I have mounted the same source code directory structure as is on the
build machine in order to develop the code locally.  Hence, it would be
nice to somehow teach Emacs to first probe whether it can access the
corresponding file locally, and if not, fallback to accessing it
remotely via Tramp.  It would also be nice if the implementation of this
feature would apply not only to compilation buffers, but would be rather
located on a lower level to intercept all file finding requests from
Tramp buffers.

I do realize that the use case is very special and is not meant for
broad audience, so this should not be considered as a feature request.
That is I merely want to know how to implement it properly on my own.
Any suggestions or ideas on improvement or generalization of this idea
are very welcome.

Kind regards,
Alexander

* Re: Find file locally from Tramp buffer
@ 2016-01-07  8:42 ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2016-01-07  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Re: Find file locally from Tramp buffer
@ 2016-01-07 20:14   ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2016-01-07 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tomas; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

<tomas@tuxteam.de> writes:

> On Wed, Jan 06, 2016 at 08:35:52PM +0100, Alexander Shukaev wrote:
>> Hey everyone,
>>
>> Suppose I run builds on a dedicated build machine with `compile' via
>> Tramp. [...]
>> it would be nice to somehow teach Emacs to first probe whether it
>> can access the corresponding file locally, and if not, fallback to
>> accessing it remotely via Tramp [...]
>
>> I do realize that the use case is very special and is not meant for
>> broad audience [...]
>
> This isn't as crazy as it sounds. Actually I would have had use for
> that from time to time.
>
> Kind of a file name mapping layer (perhaps the local files have a
> somewhat different path, typically one could get away by re-mapping
> some stem of the complete path).

In the compilation buffer, the buffer-local variable `default-directory'
points to the remote directory. If you change it to the corresponding
local directory path, it could do the trick. Just call in that buffer
"M-x cd".

> regards
> -- t

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: Find file locally from Tramp buffer
@ 2016-01-08  7:54     ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2016-01-08  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs