all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Recommend a white color theme
@ 2015-12-05 20:20 Tim Johnson
From: Tim Johnson @ 2015-12-05 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs

I prefer to change color themes, based on changes in ambient
lighting and also to alleviate (for me) eye strain.

The black color theme that I prefer is cyberpunk.

I'd like to solicate recommendations for a white color scheme.
(I also use 'xemacs and 'zenburn) - but could use something lighter.

thanks
--
Tim

* Re: Recommend a white color theme
@ 2015-12-06 18:11 ` Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo
From: Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo @ 2015-12-06 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Tim Johnson writes:

> I prefer to change color themes, based on changes in ambient
> lighting and also to alleviate (for me) eye strain.
>
> The black color theme that I prefer is cyberpunk.
>
> I'd like to solicate recommendations for a white color scheme.
> (I also use 'xemacs and 'zenburn) - but could use something
> lighter.

The best white color scheme is in my opinion the default
one. Regarding light color themes, when I am using a laptop
outside and it is quite bright, I like to use the solarized theme
(https://github.com/sellout/emacs-color-theme-solarized).

--
Jorge.

* Re: Recommend a white color theme
@ 2015-12-06 18:57 ` Alex Kost
From: Alex Kost @ 2015-12-06 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs

Tim Johnson (2015-12-05 23:20 +0300) wrote:

> I prefer to change color themes, based on changes in ambient
> lighting and also to alleviate (for me) eye strain.

Same for me :-)

> The black color theme that I prefer is cyberpunk.
>
> I'd like to solicate recommendations for a white color scheme.
> (I also use 'xemacs and 'zenburn) - but could use something lighter.

I use my own light theme — alect-light — from 'alect-themes' package
(available on MELPA).

https://github.com/alezost/alect-themes

--
Alex

* Re: Recommend a white color theme
@ 2015-12-06 19:16   ` Tim Johnson
From: Tim Johnson @ 2015-12-06 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo <jorge.alfaro-murillo@yale.edu> [151206 09:19]:
> Tim Johnson writes:
>
> >I prefer to change color themes, based on changes in ambient
> >lighting and also to alleviate (for me) eye strain.
> >
> >The black color theme that I prefer is cyberpunk.
> >
> >I'd like to solicate recommendations for a white color scheme. (I
> >also use 'xemacs and 'zenburn) - but could use something lighter.
>
> The best white color scheme is in my opinion the default one.
> Regarding light color themes, when I am using a laptop outside and
> it is quite bright, I like to use the solarized theme
> (https://github.com/sellout/emacs-color-theme-solarized).
  I thought that was a pretty good candidate.

  1)Is there a name for the default color theme?

  2)How does one load/reload the default color theme when some
  custom theme has already been loaded?

  thank you
--

@ 2015-12-06 19:19   ` Tim Johnson
From: Tim Johnson @ 2015-12-06 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Alex Kost <alezost@gmail.com> [151206 10:08]:
> Tim Johnson (2015-12-05 23:20 +0300) wrote:
>
> > I prefer to change color themes, based on changes in ambient
> > lighting and also to alleviate (for me) eye strain.
>
> Same for me :-)
>
> > The black color theme that I prefer is cyberpunk.
> >
> > I'd like to solicate recommendations for a white color scheme.
> > (I also use 'xemacs and 'zenburn) - but could use something lighter.
>
> I use my own light theme — alect-light — from 'alect-themes' package
> (available on MELPA).
  I like it!
  thank you
--

@ 2015-12-06 19:27     ` Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo
From: Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo @ 2015-12-06 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Tim Johnson writes:

> Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo wrote:
>> I like to use the solarized theme
>> (https://github.com/sellout/emacs-color-theme-solarized).
>
>   I thought that was a pretty good candidate.
>
>   1)Is there a name for the default color theme?

solarized

>   2)How does one load/reload the default color theme when some
>   custom theme has already been loaded?

You have to "M-x disable-theme" before loading a new one.

--
Jorge.

* Re: Recommend a white color theme
@ 2015-12-07 21:00       ` Tim Johnson
From: Tim Johnson @ 2015-12-07 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo <jorge.alfaro-murillo@yale.edu> [151206 10:32]:
> Tim Johnson writes:
>
> >Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo wrote:
> >>I like to use the solarized theme
> >>(https://github.com/sellout/emacs-color-theme-solarized).
> >
> >  I thought that was a pretty good candidate.
> >
> >  1)Is there a name for the default color theme?
>
> solarized

	I do not believe that 'solarized is the default color theme for
	my version of emacs. After some reseach, I find that on my
	version of emacs, it is 'standard.

	(GNU Emacs 24.3.1 x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll
	bars of 2014-03-07 on lamiak, modified by Debian on the 64-bit
	ubuntu 14.04 custom install for mac)

> >  2)How does one load/reload the default color theme when some
> >custom theme has already been loaded?
>
> You have to "M-x disable-theme" before loading a new one.
  of course
    plus eval: (load-theme 'standard t)

--

@ 2015-12-07 21:58         ` Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo
From: Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo @ 2015-12-07 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Tim Johnson writes:

> * Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo <jorge.alfaro-murillo@yale.edu>
> [151206 10:32]:
>> Tim Johnson writes:
>> >
>> >  I thought that was a pretty good candidate.
>> >
>> >  1)Is there a name for the default color theme?
>>  solarized
>
> 	I do not believe that 'solarized is the default color
> theme for my version of emacs. After some reseach, I find that
> on my version of emacs, it is 'standard.

I thought that he meant the default solarized theme, there used to
be two one light and one dark.

>> >  2)How does one load/reload the default color theme when some
>> >custom theme has already been loaded?
>>  You have to "M-x disable-theme" before loading a new one.
>  of course plus eval: (load-theme 'standard t)

I do not think that the last part is necessary, just disabling
leaves the default one.

--
Jorge.