In order to avoid having users pull emacs packages over HTTP (where they can be intercepted and modified by network attackers), I have changed the default URLs for the package repositories to use HTTPS. The first patch is a change to the default config for elpa.gnu.org and the second patch updates the manual and FAQ to use HTTPS URLs in its examples. This is my first patch to emacs and while I have read the CONTRIBUTE file, it's quite possible I've missed something so feel free to let me know if there's any changes you'd like me to do to the formatting of the patches or commit messages. Francois -- http://fmarier.org/