all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Call to `openssl` causes Emacs to freeze
@ 2015-08-17  2:39 Alexis
From: Alexis @ 2015-08-17  2:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi all,

Context: manually-compiled Emacs 24.5 on Debian Jessie x86_64.

For a while i'd been facing the problem that, when i opened an
HTML email (erk) in mu4e, Emacs would freeze; my only recourse was
to terminate the Emacs process.

Today i worked out that a call to `openssl` is the source of the
problem: installing the `gnutls-bin` package and modifying the
value of the variable `tls-program` to only call `gnutls-cli`
fixed the issue.

Modifying `tls-program` to add the "-no_ssl3" switch to the
`openssl` invocation had not helped.

Of course, OpenSSL's internals are apparently a wretched hive of
scum, so i'm wondering if anyone else has faced this problem? Is
this a known issue?

Alexis.

* Re: Call to `openssl` causes Emacs to freeze
@ 2015-08-17  4:21 ` Jude DaShiell
From: Jude DaShiell @ 2015-08-17  4:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexis, help-gnu-emacs

I think this explains why twittering-mode cannot create an auth key for
twitter after username and password get entered.  This happened in
earlier versions of emacs 24.x and I gave up on twittering-mode for that
reason.

@ 2015-08-17  6:26 ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2015-08-17  6:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexis; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

* Re: Call to `openssl` causes Emacs to freeze
@ 2015-08-18 12:11   ` Alexis
From: Alexis @ 2015-08-18 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

tomas@tuxteam.de writes:

> Only indirectly related, but I had similar experiences accessing
> https things. Gnutls-cli failed in my case, my best bet was
> compiled-in TLS support. So if you are compiling your Emacs
> yourself anyway, I'd strongly recommend using that: resorting to
> an external program (openssl or gnutls-bin) makes some things
> difficult for the application.

Thanks for the suggestion! i've just recompiled after having
installed the `gnutls-dev` package - will see how that goes. :-)

@ 2015-08-18 14:40     ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2015-08-18 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexis; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

* Re: Call to `openssl` causes Emacs to freeze
@ 2015-09-08 10:25       ` Alexis
From: Alexis @ 2015-09-08 10:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

tomas@tuxteam.de writes:

>> Thanks for the suggestion! i've just recompiled after having
>> installed the `gnutls-dev` package - will see how that
>> goes. :-)
>
> You are welcome :-)
>
> Let us know how it goes!

Follow-up: i've been using the recompiled-with-gnutls-support
version of Emacs for a few weeks now, and am yet to experience the
sort of freezes i was experiencing before. :-)

@ 2015-09-08 13:07         ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2015-09-08 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexis; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs