On Tue, 26 May 2015 22:15:06 +0200, in message CAMpX9QRs5AsBcDmh7i7vN=Pc_AxmirnrZXv8_a6opFxHguR6hA@mail.gmail.com, Thomas Fischer wrote: > Hi, > > when I open the emacs in the shell the window is split horizontally > into two parts. How can I open emacs without split. This shouldn't be happening. It sounds to me like there is something amiss in your init file. Three questions: 1. Exactly how are you starting emacs? 2. What do the two windows display? 3. What happens if you start emacs as "emacs -nw -Q"? (That will start emacs without the init file.) --Dales -- People will accept your ideas much more readily if you tell them that Benjamin Franklin said it first.