all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to examine the mark ring?
@ 2015-04-21  9:53 gnuist006
From: gnuist006 @ 2015-04-21  9:53 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi All,

What I need is a method to examine the mark ring for which I could
not locate a command. C-@ is used to push the point or posn into the
mark ring stack or LIFO.

I tried with apropos to find a suitable command or variable but as a newbie, I could not find one.

This would help me debug the problem.

* Re: How to examine the mark ring?
@ 2015-04-21 10:17 ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2015-04-21 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: gnuist006; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

* RE: How to examine the mark ring?
@ 2015-04-21 13:45   ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2015-04-21 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: tomas, gnuist006; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> > What I need is a method to examine the mark ring for which I could
> > not locate a command. C-@ is used to push the point or posn into the
> > mark ring stack or LIFO.
> >
> > I tried with apropos to find a suitable command or variable but as a
> > newbie, I could not find one.
>
> There is a variable "mark-ring", so I'd try "C-h v RET mark-ring RET".
> This'll show its current (buffer-local) value.

There are two rings of markers: `global-mark-ring' and `mark-ring'.
The latter is buffer-local: all markers (except the current mark) in
a given buffer.  The former is global: (at most) one marker per buffer.

`mark-ring' does not include the current mark - that is the value
of `(mark-marker)'.  So if you want all markers in the current buffer
then use something like this:

(if (and (mark-marker)  (marker-buffer (mark-marker)))
    (cons (mark-marker) (copy-sequence mark-ring))
  (copy-sequence mark-ring))

(The reason you might want to use `copy-sequence' is in case
you want to do something to/with the list of markers, and you
don't want to modify the original list.

* Re: How to examine the mark ring?
@ 2015-04-21 14:10     ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2015-04-21 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw