all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* move selection by dragging it with the middle mouse button?
@ 2015-04-14  9:29 jarausch
From: jarausch @ 2015-04-14  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

With my previous editor I could select some text (e.g. by dragging the left mouse button) and then by clicking and dragging with the middle mouse button I could move the selected text around.

Is this possible with Emacs and how?

Many thanks for a hint,
Helmut

* Re: move selection by dragging it with the middle mouse button?
@ 2015-04-14 17:33 ` Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo
From: Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo @ 2015-04-14 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

jarausch@skynet.be writes:

> With my previous editor I could select some text (e.g. by
> dragging the left mouse button) and then by clicking and
> dragging with the middle mouse button I could move the selected
> text around.
>
> Is this possible with Emacs and how?

No need for dragging, it is very slow. Better left click at the
beginning of the region you want to move, right click twice at the
end of the region. Middle click where you want to move the text
to.

Or even faster avoid the mouse, by the time you got your hand to
the mouse and found the cursor in the screen, you could have
C-<space>, do a search with C-s, C-w, another search with C-s or
C-r, and C-y =)

Best,
--
Jorge.

* Re: move selection by dragging it with the middle mouse button?
@ 2015-04-17 13:04 ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2015-04-17 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jarausch; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

* Re: move selection by dragging it with the middle mouse button?
@ 2015-04-17 14:07   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2015-04-17 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2015 15:04:25 +0200
> From: <tomas@tuxteam.de>
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> On Tue, Apr 14, 2015 at 02:29:24AM -0700, jarausch@skynet.be wrote:
> > With my previous editor I could select some text (e.g. by dragging
> > the left mouse button) and then by clicking and dragging with the
> > middle mouse button I could move the selected text around.
> >
> > Is this possible with Emacs and how?
>
> As far as I can see, Emacs can only be a drop target, not a drag source.
> So the answer seems to be "sorry, not without changing the C sources".
>
> Please someone correct me if I'm wrong.

AFAIK, drag-and-drop does work in Emacs, in both directions.

* Re: move selection by dragging it with the middle mouse button?
@ 2015-04-17 19:36     ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2015-04-17 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs