all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: Adding Tai Tham Script to GNU/Linux Distribution's Version of Emacs
@ 2015-03-15 23:15 Richard Wordingham
From: Richard Wordingham @ 2015-03-15 23:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eliz, help-gnu-emacs

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> Only this should be necessary:
>
>  1) Modify fontset.el to add the script.

Is this meant to be relevant to the use of Emacs 24?  In Emacs 24, Tai
Tham is already listed in fontset.el.

The examples in 'modifying fontsets' seem to be irrelevant, and
certainly didn't help.  I may be missing something subtle, but I was
already picking up the right font, and adding it to the default fontset
does not seem to make any difference, in either Emacs 23.3.1 or Emacs
24.

The rendering is different - in Emacs 24, Tai Tham non-spacing marks are
rendered as spacing marks.

Might the character categories be relevant?  They don't seem to be set
for Tai Tham characters, though they are set for Tai Viet characters,
which are slightly younger.  I also notice that a sequence of Thai
consonants does not prompy any m17n action, but that m17n action occurs
as soon as a combining character (vowel, tone mark etc.) is entered.

Richard.

[parent not found: <mailman.28836.1426477412.31050.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>]
* Adding Tai Tham Script to GNU/Linux Distribution's Version of Emacs
@ 2015-03-15 12:32 Richard Wordingham
From: Richard Wordingham @ 2015-03-15 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I am currently using a distribution's latest version of Emacs.
The distribution is Ubuntu 12.04, precise pangolin, and the version of
Emacs it currently delivers is 23.3.1.  Is it 'simple' to add complex
text layout (CTL) for the Tai Tham script on non-Windows systems?

I hope that all I have to do is to:

1) Modify fontset.el to add the script.
2) Replace fontset.elc
in /usr/share/emacs/23.3/lisp/international/fontset.elc by the modified
version of fontset.el from the source description.
3) Augment the m17n library to use a HarfBuzz-compatible Tai Tham
font.  I have such a font, and it works fine with Emacs when CTL is not
needed.

One of my worries is that I may have to update characters.el and
recompile Emacs.

I already have a working Emacs input method for the Tai Tham script.

Richard.