all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com>
To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: Re: $EDITOR to open at file end?
Date: Sun, 8 Mar 2015 23:14:20 -0600	[thread overview]

Robert Thorpe wrote:
> Bob Proulx writes:
> >   $ time emacs -f kill-emacs
> >   real    0m0.155s
> >   user    0m0.128s
> >   sys     0m0.024s
> >
> > Emacs can really be quite fast!
>
> Fair enough.  I also use a minimalist init file that loads quickly.  My
> Emacs doesn't start that quickly though, but that's probably because I
> don't have an SSD.

That is the warm cache performance and is independent of whether it is
an SSD or spinning media.  SSDs only help for the cold cache
performance.  My cold cache load on an SSD is about 1.5 seconds.  My
cold cache load on spinning media is around 6-7 seconds.

> Anyway, if you've got that tuned you don't need to worry about emacs
> vs emacsclient.  Lots of people who use Emacs, especially new users,
> seem to have huge init files, I was assuming you were one of those.

I would expect newcomers to have small init files.  It is us old
timers that have collected up much lint in them over the years.  I
have been using Emacs since version 18.

Bob