all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* $EDITOR to open at file end?
@ 2015-03-05  7:29 Bob Proulx
From: Bob Proulx @ 2015-03-05  7:29 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

With "the other editor" I can set editor to be "vi + file" and when
opening the file it will automatically jump to the end of the file.
With less there is "less +G file" and it will jump to the end of the
file.  (And also "less +/PATTERN" is useful too.)

    +[num]      For the first file the cursor will be positioned on line
                "num".   If "num" is missing, the cursor will be positioned
                on the last line.

For emacs however there is only:

       +number Go to the line specified  by number (do not insert a
               space between the "+" sign and the number).  This
               applies only to the next file specified.

I don't see a way to do this with emacs.  I am hoping I am simply
missing the obvious.  The best I can come up with is to use a very
large number larger than the number of lines.

  emacs +999999 file

That works but feels like a hack.  Is there another way to instruct
emacs explicitly to open the file and go to the bottom of the file?

Thanks,
Bob