On Oct 30, 2014, at 04:31 AM, Eric S. Raymond wrote: >The tension here is fundamental. You can have easy typo fixes, or you >can have a record that is both reliable and snared, but not both. I >think the latter is more important than the former. It also requires more care in writing commit messages, since often (although I can't speak for Emacs) commit messages and changelogs are intended for different audiences. When committing changes in Mailman for example, I'll include a lot more detail about a change so that future developers have a good history spelunking experience, but a changelog/NEWS file will give only the higher level user visible changes. Cheers, -Barry