all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#15436: 24.3.50; reads ~/.mailcap only once
@ 2013-09-22 19:45 Gregor Zattler
From: Gregor Zattler @ 2013-09-22 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 15436

Dear Emacs Developers,

Emacs reads ~/.mailcap only once, does not recognize later
changes in this configuration file even if made with Emacs in the
same session.  This happens with Emacs23 and Emacs-snapshot.  I
consider this behaviour a bug.  Quitting Emacs and starting anew
forces reload of ~/.mailcap.

How to reproduce:

When opening a file link to say an image or PDF document within
org-mode via C-u C-u C-c C-o Emacs reads (in default
configuration) ~/.mailcap in search for a application to open the
file with.  If one then changes this ~/.mailcap, saves it and opens
the same file again it is opened via the mailcap entry before the
change.

Thanks for your attention, Gregor

* bug#15436: 24.3.50; reads ~/.mailcap only once
@ 2013-09-22 20:07 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2013-09-22 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gregor Zattler; +Cc: 15436

> From: Gregor Zattler <telegraph@gmx.net>
> Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2013 21:45:40 +0200
>
> Emacs reads ~/.mailcap only once, does not recognize later
> changes in this configuration file even if made with Emacs in the
> same session.  This happens with Emacs23 and Emacs-snapshot.  I
> consider this behaviour a bug.  Quitting Emacs and starting anew
> forces reload of ~/.mailcap.
>
> How to reproduce:
>
> When opening a file link to say an image or PDF document within
> org-mode via C-u C-u C-c C-o Emacs reads (in default
> configuration) ~/.mailcap in search for a application to open the
> file with.  If one then changes this ~/.mailcap, saves it and opens
> the same file again it is opened via the mailcap entry before the
> change.

Does it help to invoke "M-x mailcap-parse-mailcaps RET"?

* bug#15436: 24.3.50; reads ~/.mailcap only once
@ 2013-09-22 20:41   ` Gregor Zattler
From: Gregor Zattler @ 2013-09-22 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: 15436

Hi Eli,
* Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> [2013-09-22; 22:07]:
>> From: Gregor Zattler <telegraph@gmx.net>
>> Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2013 21:45:40 +0200
>>
>> Emacs reads ~/.mailcap only once, does not recognize later
>> changes in this configuration file even if made with Emacs in the
>> same session.  This happens with Emacs23 and Emacs-snapshot.  I
>> consider this behaviour a bug.  Quitting Emacs and starting anew
>> forces reload of ~/.mailcap.
>>
>> How to reproduce:
>>
>> When opening a file link to say an image or PDF document within
>> org-mode via C-u C-u C-c C-o Emacs reads (in default
>> configuration) ~/.mailcap in search for a application to open the
>> file with.  If one then changes this ~/.mailcap, saves it and opens
>> the same file again it is opened via the mailcap entry before the
>> change.
>
> Does it help to invoke "M-x mailcap-parse-mailcaps RET"?

Yes.  Thanks for this pointer.

I still consider this to be a bug.  Emacs should behave as
configured in .mailcap not as in an old version of it.  If the
Emacs developers consider this behaviour to be ok then it should
be documented somewhere.

Thank you for your fast reply, gregor

* bug#15436: 24.3.50; reads ~/.mailcap only once
@ 2014-10-25  8:38     ` Gregor Zattler
From: Gregor Zattler @ 2014-10-25  8:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 15436

Hi Eli, emacs developers,
* Gregor Zattler <telegraph@gmx.net> [22. Sep. 2013]:
>>> When opening a file link to say an image or PDF document within
>>> org-mode via C-u C-u C-c C-o Emacs reads (in default
>>> configuration) ~/.mailcap in search for a application to open the
>>> file with.  If one then changes this ~/.mailcap, saves it and opens
>>> the same file again it is opened via the mailcap entry before the
>>> change.
>>
>> Does it help to invoke "M-x mailcap-parse-mailcaps RET"?
>
> Yes.  Thanks for this pointer.
>
> I still consider this to be a bug.  Emacs should behave as
> configured in .mailcap not as in an old version of it.  If the
> Emacs developers consider this behaviour to be ok then it should
> be documented somewhere.

This could be a use case for the inotify infrastructure.  (Way
beyond my skills).

Ciao, Gregor
--
 -... --- .-. . -.. ..--.. ...-.-

* bug#15436: 24.3.50; reads ~/.mailcap only once
@ 2020-08-05  7:05 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2020-08-05  7:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gregor Zattler; +Cc: 15436

Gregor Zattler <telegraph@gmx.net> writes:

> Emacs reads ~/.mailcap only once, does not recognize later
> changes in this configuration file even if made with Emacs in the
> same session.  This happens with Emacs23 and Emacs-snapshot.  I
> consider this behaviour a bug.  Quitting Emacs and starting anew
> forces reload of ~/.mailcap.

This was changed finally in Emacs 27, I believe -- it'll now re-read the
data any time it's queried for data.