all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs on Mac does not inherit PATH
@ 2014-06-24  8:34 Kazu Yamamoto
From: Kazu Yamamoto @ 2014-06-24  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi,

I'm using Emacs HEAD on Mac (Mavericks).
If it is executed from Dock, it does not inherit PATH:

	(getenv "PATH")
	"/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin"

If it is executed by "open /Applications/Emacs.app", it inherits PATH.

Emacs 24.3 inherits PATH even if it is executed from Dock.

Is this an intentional behavior change?

--Kazu

* Re: Emacs on Mac does not inherit PATH
@ 2014-06-24  8:56 ` Jan Djärv
From: Jan Djärv @ 2014-06-24  8:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: "Kazu Yamamoto (山本和彦)"; +Cc: emacs-devel

Hello.

24 jun 2014 kl. 10:34 skrev Kazu Yamamoto (山本和彦) <kazu@iij.ad.jp>:

> Hi,
>
> I'm using Emacs HEAD on Mac (Mavericks).
> If it is executed from Dock, it does not inherit PATH:
>
> 	(getenv "PATH")
> 	"/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin"
>
> If it is executed by "open /Applications/Emacs.app", it inherits PATH.

This is the way all OSX applications work, Emacs is not different.
Checkout:

% man launchctl

Search for setenv.  Also look at

% man launchd.conf

> Emacs 24.3 inherits PATH even if it is executed from Dock.

No it does not:

(getenv "PATH")
"/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin"
emacs-version
"24.3.1"

> Is this an intentional behavior change?

Nothing has changed in this area.

	Jan D.

* Re: Emacs on Mac does not inherit PATH
@ 2014-06-24 10:24   ` Kazu Yamamoto
From: Kazu Yamamoto @ 2014-06-24 10:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi Jan,

Thank you for your reply.

> No it does not:
>
> (getenv "PATH")
> "/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin"
> emacs-version
> "24.3.1"

Ah, OK.

Precisely speaking, I'm using emacs-24.3-mac-4.7. In my case, PATH is
inherited thanks to emacs-24.3-mac-4.7's extension.

--Kazu