all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Python Mode, managing and converting TABS
@ 2014-05-28 19:13 Tim Johnson
From: Tim Johnson @ 2014-05-28 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs

I'm currently using
GNU Emacs 23.3.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.10 on
Ubuntu 12.04, but expect to have to also use --no-window-system
("console mode") on occassion.

I have used emacs extensively in the distant past (up 'til 2008), so
am re-acquainting myself with the system.

I have much legacy python code that has "hard tabs" and to meet
the python style guides, will have to be converted to "soft tabs".
I.E. TAB => "    "

I also need to configure emacs so that TAB (or Ctrl-i) inserts four
spaces instead of the TAB character.

I currently have this in my .emacs [code]
(add-hook 'python-mode-hook
            '(lambda ()
               (turn-on-font-lock)
               (setq default-tab-width 4)
               (setq tab-width 4)
               (imenu-add-menubar-index)
               (setq imenu-sort-function 'imenu--sort-by-name)))

[/code]

I'd welcome any and all advice, pointers to previous discussion
would are solicited.

thanks
--
Tim

* Re: Python Mode, managing and converting TABS
       [not found] <mailman.2339.1401307161.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2014-05-28 21:17 ` Dan.Espen
From: Dan.Espen @ 2014-05-28 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com> writes:

> I'm currently using
> GNU Emacs 23.3.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.10 on
> Ubuntu 12.04, but expect to have to also use --no-window-system
> ("console mode") on occassion.
>
> I have used emacs extensively in the distant past (up 'til 2008), so
> am re-acquainting myself with the system.
>
> I have much legacy python code that has "hard tabs" and to meet
> the python style guides, will have to be converted to "soft tabs".
> I.E. TAB => "    "
>
> I also need to configure emacs so that TAB (or Ctrl-i) inserts four
> spaces instead of the TAB character.
>
> I currently have this in my .emacs [code]
> (add-hook 'python-mode-hook
>             '(lambda ()
>                (turn-on-font-lock)
>                (setq default-tab-width 4)
>                (setq tab-width 4)
>                (imenu-add-menubar-index)
>                (setq imenu-sort-function 'imenu--sort-by-name)))
>
> [/code]
>
> I'd welcome any and all advice, pointers to previous discussion
> would are solicited.

To remove tabs, make the whole buffer the region:

C-x h

then run untabify:

M-x untabify

--
Dan Espen

* Re: Python Mode, managing and converting TABS
@ 2014-05-28 21:44   ` Tim Johnson
From: Tim Johnson @ 2014-05-28 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Dan.Espen <despen@verizon.net> [140528 13:28]:
> Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com> writes:
>
> > I'm currently using
> > GNU Emacs 23.3.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.10 on
> > Ubuntu 12.04, but expect to have to also use --no-window-system
> > ("console mode") on occassion.
> >
> > I have used emacs extensively in the distant past (up 'til 2008), so
> > am re-acquainting myself with the system.
> >
> > I have much legacy python code that has "hard tabs" and to meet
> > the python style guides, will have to be converted to "soft tabs".
> > I.E. TAB => "    "
> >
> > I also need to configure emacs so that TAB (or Ctrl-i) inserts four
> > spaces instead of the TAB character.
> >
> > I currently have this in my .emacs [code]
> > (add-hook 'python-mode-hook
> >             '(lambda ()
> >                (turn-on-font-lock)
> >                (setq default-tab-width 4)
> >                (setq tab-width 4)
> >                (imenu-add-menubar-index)
> >                (setq imenu-sort-function 'imenu--sort-by-name)))
> >
> > [/code]
> >
> > I'd welcome any and all advice, pointers to previous discussion
> > would are solicited.
>
> To remove tabs, make the whole buffer the region:
>
> C-x h
>
> then run untabify:
>
> M-x untabify
  Thank you. That was very simple. I note from 'help that
  'default-tab-width is obsolete.
  cheers
--

@ 2014-05-28 23:37 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2014-05-28 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> (add-hook 'python-mode-hook
>             '(lambda ()

Please don't quote your lambdas.

* Re: Python Mode, managing and converting TABS
@ 2014-05-29 15:57   ` Tim Johnson
From: Tim Johnson @ 2014-05-29 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> [140528 15:42]:
> > (add-hook 'python-mode-hook
> >             '(lambda ()
>
> Please don't quote your lambdas.
  It is a misbehavior noted frequently in examples,
  which I followed.

  After reading your advice, I found
  http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/QuotedLambda

  thanks
--

@ 2014-05-29 16:49     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2014-05-29 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> Please don't quote your lambdas.
>   It is a misbehavior noted frequently in examples,
>   which I followed.

I know, which is why I try to bring it up whenever I see it, in the hope
that 10 years from now, there will be fewer such bad examples.

* Re: Python Mode, managing and converting TABS
@ 2014-05-29 17:51       ` Tim Johnson
From: Tim Johnson @ 2014-05-29 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> [140529 09:01]:
> >> Please don't quote your lambdas.
> >   It is a misbehavior noted frequently in examples,
> >   which I followed.
>
> I know, which is why I try to bring it up whenever I see it, in the hope
> that 10 years from now, there will be fewer such bad examples.
  I have been inspired to google "emacs best practices"
    http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/Coding-Conventions.html

  and "elisp lint"
    https://github.com/nschum/elisp-lint

  regards
--

@ 2014-06-02 19:33 ` Damien Wyart
       [not found]   ` <mailman.2841.1401808858.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Damien Wyart @ 2014-06-02 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com> in gnu.emacs.help:
> I currently have this in my .emacs [code]
> (add-hook 'python-mode-hook
>             '(lambda ()
>                (turn-on-font-lock)
>                (setq default-tab-width 4)
>                (setq tab-width 4)
>                (imenu-add-menubar-index)
>                (setq imenu-sort-function 'imenu--sort-by-name)))

You might also want: (setq indent-tabs-mode nil)

--
DW

* Re: Python Mode, managing and converting TABS
@ 2014-06-03 15:20   ` Tim Johnson
       [not found]   ` <mailman.2841.1401808858.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Tim Johnson @ 2014-06-03 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Damien Wyart <damien.wyart@free.fr> [140602 11:43]:
> * Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com> in gnu.emacs.help:
> > I currently have this in my .emacs [code]
> > (add-hook 'python-mode-hook
> >             '(lambda ()
> >                (turn-on-font-lock)
> >                (setq default-tab-width 4)
> >                (setq tab-width 4)
> >                (imenu-add-menubar-index)
> >                (setq imenu-sort-function 'imenu--sort-by-name)))
> >

> You might also want: (setq indent-tabs-mode nil)
  :) Done. Thanks.
--

@ 2014-06-03 17:53     ` Damien Wyart
From: Damien Wyart @ 2014-06-03 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

You might also want to try this mode: https://launchpad.net/python-mode/
instead of the one included in Emacs. For some aspects, it is more
powerful/confortable (YMMV)...
--
DW

* Re: Python Mode, managing and converting TABS
@ 2014-06-04 23:49       ` Tim Johnson
From: Tim Johnson @ 2014-06-04 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Damien Wyart <damien.wyart@free.fr> [140603 09:57]:
> You might also want to try this mode: https://launchpad.net/python-mode/
> instead of the one included in Emacs. For some aspects, it is more
> powerful/confortable (YMMV)...
  I believe I may have used that years ago, it was a good choice
  even then. Thanks for reminding me.
  cheers
--
Tim