all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Menu in no window
@ 2014-05-14  9:37 Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2014-05-14  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs help

Hi,

I always run emacs in no window mode.  To save screen space, I also turn
off the menu bar.  Sometimes however, I like to use the menu when I'm in
an unfamiliar mode.  In such cases, I use F10 to get the tmm-menubar.
I'm not really a fan of the interface.  Yesterday I found there is a
nice menu (maybe based on overlays).

Sadly this only works with menu-bar-mode on.  When running Emacs with a
gui, I can access menus even with the menu bar off by middle clicking in
the buffer, I was wondering if something similar is possible in no
window mode.

Thanks for any ideas.

Cheers,

--
Suvayu

* Re: Menu in no window
@ 2014-05-14 11:44 ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2014-05-14 11:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

you should try lacarte.el, available from Melpa.  It's even better than
the using the menubar, since you can match against the complete "paths";
so you don't need to know exactly where a certain menu entry is hidden.

Michael.

* RE: Menu in no window
@ 2014-05-14 14:36   ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2014-05-14 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Heerdegen, help-gnu-emacs

> you should try lacarte.el, available from Melpa.  It's even better than
> the using the menubar, since you can match against the complete "paths";
> so you don't need to know exactly where a certain menu entry is hidden.

Thank you, Michael.  And if your completion mechanism can match substrings
or regexps then La Carte completion is even handier - match items in
submenus directly.

* Re: Menu in no window
@ 2014-05-14 15:18 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2014-05-14 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Wed, 14 May 2014 11:37:43 +0200
> From: Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com>
>
> I always run emacs in no window mode.  To save screen space, I also turn
> off the menu bar.  Sometimes however, I like to use the menu when I'm in
> an unfamiliar mode.  In such cases, I use F10 to get the tmm-menubar.
> I'm not really a fan of the interface.  Yesterday I found there is a
> nice menu (maybe based on overlays).
>
> Sadly this only works with menu-bar-mode on.  When running Emacs with a
> gui, I can access menus even with the menu bar off by middle clicking in
> the buffer, I was wondering if something similar is possible in no
> window mode.

If you have a mouse in the no-windows mode, you can open the text-mode
menu-bar menu by clicking C-mouse-3 on the text area.  So the TTY
functionality here is similar to what you get in a GUI session.

* Re: Menu in no window
@ 2014-05-15 16:07   ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2014-05-15 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Wed, May 14, 2014 at 06:18:57PM +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Wed, 14 May 2014 11:37:43 +0200
> > From: Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com>
> >
> > I always run emacs in no window mode.  To save screen space, I also turn
> > off the menu bar.  Sometimes however, I like to use the menu when I'm in
> > an unfamiliar mode.  In such cases, I use F10 to get the tmm-menubar.
> > I'm not really a fan of the interface.  Yesterday I found there is a
> > nice menu (maybe based on overlays).
> >
> > Sadly this only works with menu-bar-mode on.  When running Emacs with a
> > gui, I can access menus even with the menu bar off by middle clicking in
> > the buffer, I was wondering if something similar is possible in no
> > window mode.
>
> If you have a mouse in the no-windows mode, you can open the text-mode
> menu-bar menu by clicking C-mouse-3 on the text area.  So the TTY
> functionality here is similar to what you get in a GUI session.

I don't see my emacs in a terminal responding to a mouse.  I run it in
xfce4-terminal.  I guess I'll checkout lacarte.

Suvayu

* Re: Menu in no window
@ 2014-05-15 16:07     ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2014-05-15 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Wed, May 14, 2014 at 07:36:19AM -0700, Drew Adams wrote:
> > you should try lacarte.el, available from Melpa.  It's even better than
> > the using the menubar, since you can match against the complete "paths";
> > so you don't need to know exactly where a certain menu entry is hidden.
>
> Thank you, Michael.  And if your completion mechanism can match substrings
> or regexps then La Carte completion is even handier - match items in
> submenus directly.

Thank you, I'll try this out.

--
Suvayu