all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Aquamacs branch
@ 2014-03-07  8:54 Eric S. Raymond
From: Eric S. Raymond @ 2014-03-07  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: David Reitter, ":"; +Cc: emacs-devel

I have been thinking about this and it appears to me that the map I
need to generate is not "all mirror hashes to all modified hashes" but
"all mirror hashes of merge-to-Aquamacs parents to corresponding
modified hashes". That should be good enough to knit the Aqumacs
branch back into the converted repo

I want to develop a repeatable procedure for this to use on other
private branches.

Is there someplace I can clone the Aquamacs repo from?

When your hammer is C++, everything begins to look like a thumb.
                -- Steve Hoflich on compl.lang.c++

* Re: Aquamacs branch
@ 2014-03-07 11:04 ` David Reitter
From: David Reitter @ 2014-03-07 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Eric S. Raymond; +Cc: ":", emacs-devel

Eric,

the official repository is:

https://github.com/davidswelt/aquamacs-emacs.git

The relevant branches are

Aquamacs3  [24-based]
Aquamacs2  [23-based]
Aquamacs22  [22-based]

(In the end, it would be nice to preserve the topic branches, but I don’t think it’s a big deal.  Everything else is certainly not worth the time.)

Note that this repository carries two copies of the Emacs history up to a few years back.  At that point, I had to switch to a different base Emacs, because the underlying repository rewrote history (or I switched from another mirror to the now-official one — I can’t quite remember).  I can help track this down.

Thanks for working on this.

- David

On Mar 7, 2014, at 3:54 AM, Eric S. Raymond <esr@thyrsus.com> wrote:

> I have been thinking about this and it appears to me that the map I
> need to generate is not "all mirror hashes to all modified hashes" but
> "all mirror hashes of merge-to-Aquamacs parents to corresponding
> modified hashes". That should be good enough to knit the Aqumacs
> branch back into the converted repo
>
> I want to develop a repeatable procedure for this to use on other
> private branches.
>
> Is there someplace I can clone the Aquamacs repo from?
> --
>
> When your hammer is C++, everything begins to look like a thumb.
>                -- Steve Hoflich on compl.lang.c++

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: Aquamacs branch
@ 2014-03-07 11:25   ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2014-03-07 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: David Reitter; +Cc: Eric S. Raymond, ":", emacs-devel

David Reitter <david.reitter@gmail.com> writes:

> Note that this repository carries two copies of the Emacs history up to a few years back.  At that point, I had to switch to a different base Emacs, because the underlying repository rewrote history (or I switched from another mirror to the now-official one — I can’t quite remember).  I can help track this down.

That was the original repository I created while incrementally importing
the CVS repository vs. the current repository that was created from the
bzr repository.  Since the available features don't match 100% between
git and bzr the rewriting was inevitable.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, schwab@linux-m68k.org

* Re: Aquamacs branch
@ 2014-03-07 17:37   ` Eric S. Raymond
From: Eric S. Raymond @ 2014-03-07 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: David Reitter; +Cc: emacs-devel

David Reitter <david.reitter@gmail.com>:
> Note that this repository carries two copies of the Emacs history up
> to a few years back.  At that point, I had to switch to a different
> base Emacs, because the underlying repository rewrote history (or I
> switched from another mirror to the now-official one — I can’t quite
> remember).  I can help track this down.
>
> Thanks for working on this.

I've cloned your repository and looked at it.

That is an *extremely* nasty mess you have there - not the code, but the
repo structure. The double tail of different Emacs histories introduces
complications I've never seen before.

My tools do not presently support a quick fix to this problem.  I
have a reposurgeon feature design in mind that might help. I'll need to do
some thinking and testing of it.